Bastard Pack S10 Springs on YJ Build Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bastard Pack S10 Springs on YJ Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-07-2011, 08:31 PM   #151
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

got mine finished up yesterday thanks to this thread. about 8.5 hours labor and i achieved around 1.5 inches after it settled, while getting rid of the big buck tooth shackles. very happy with the ride now. great thread and great write up. thanks for the knowledge. sorry about the pics, something going on with my I-phone and Mac-book.

download.jpg   download-1.jpg   download-2.jpg   download-3.jpg   download-4.jpg  

Unread 01-17-2012, 03:52 AM   #152
hester88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I've been reading through this and understand the concept of lifting sua by making the leafs arch more (which is how the rear of my truck is lifted) but I have one question. Wouldn't you end up getting more lift if you replace say two yj leafs with 2, more arched s10 rather than only removing one yj and adding 2 s10? Just wondering if I'm thinking on the right page here.
hester88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #153
BPJOOP93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

picked up my S10 springs saturday. 86 S10. soaked everything down with PB blaster sunday, will be tearing into it this coming weekend. just so i am clear on this, s10 main leaf up front, and the s10 second leaf in the rear. will be doing measurments before and after and someday will be posting pics of my slow build.
BPJOOP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 07:36 AM   #154
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hester88 View Post
Ok so I've been reading through this and understand the concept of lifting sua by making the leafs arch more (which is how the rear of my truck is lifted) but I have one question. Wouldn't you end up getting more lift if you replace say two yj leafs with 2, more arched s10 rather than only removing one yj and adding 2 s10? Just wondering if I'm thinking on the right page here.
I didn't replace any of the leafs, i just added an S10 spring to the pack. Mains up front, second leafs in the back. ended up with around 2" of lift. anything more and you're ride could be pretty stiff.
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #155
hester88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASHNDENT

I didn't replace any of the leafs, i just added an S10 spring to the pack. Mains up front, second leafs in the back. ended up with around 2" of lift. anything more and you're ride could be pretty stiff.
Am I thinking wrong here? If you use just one s10 spring and remove one yj spring you would get more lift than adding the s10 spring to the pack. My jeep is just a play toy. Not looking for any smoother ride or anything. I'm just trying to clear my tires a little better. So the more inches i can get with not spending much money the better.
Unread 01-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #156
CRASHNDENT
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Am I thinking wrong here? If you use just one s10 spring and remove one yj spring you would get more lift than adding the s10 spring to the pack. My jeep is just a play toy. Not looking for any smoother ride or anything. I'm just trying to clear my tires a little better. So the more inches i can get with not spending much money the better.
i would say don't remove anything, just add the S10 leaf to each pack. i did and gained almost 2". doing this, you will need to replace the leaf pack center pins with grade 8 bolts of the right length and diameter and once you have the packs back together, use a grinder to round off the hex. that way they fit in the hole where they sit under the axle. you definitely won't regret this mod once its complete.
Don
Unread 01-31-2012, 02:32 AM   #157
hester88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASHNDENT

i would say don't remove anything, just add the S10 leaf to each pack. i did and gained almost 2". doing this, you will need to replace the leaf pack center pins with grade 8 bolts of the right length and diameter and once you have the packs back together, use a grinder to round off the hex. that way they fit in the hole where they sit under the axle. you definitely won't regret this mod once its complete.
Don
Thanks. Yea I definitely want to try this. I never even thought about something like this until I came across this thread. Pretty much the same concept of the add a leaf lift.
Unread 01-31-2012, 05:46 AM   #158
ptrcrynn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just wondering, My buddy has a set of s10 springs, what I'm trying to achieve is a stock height for the DD. Right now axle is 1/2" off bump stops . Would removing one YJ leaf and adding one s10 it it's place do this or would it raise it to much? Right now it sits quite a bit lower in front and bump stops seem to be getting used. Any opinions. Thanks Pat.
ptrcrynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #159
Muddi1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Remove the second YJ spring and add the main and third springs from the S10pack to the front. 2nd leaf of S10 pack goes in the rear with out removing any YJ leafs. That is how the original write up was done.

So it looks like this:

Front

YJ main
S10 main
S10 third
YJ 3rd
Yj 4th

Rear

YJ Main
S10 2nd
YJ2nd
YJ 3rd
YJ 4th
YJ 5th

By doing this you can reuse your U-Bolts, tighten them initially and check after 50 or so miles, Tighten as needed. Recheck in about 250 miles and retighten once more. By this time everything should have setteled in and there will be plenty of thread to fully tighten them down.

Of course if you are replacing U-Bolts just tighten them to factory spec. and STILL check them in 50 or so miles.....

This set up will level Your Jeep or get it closer to level and give you the +/- 2 inch lift.
Muddi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 03:41 AM   #160
hester88
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddi1

Remove the second YJ spring and add the main and third springs from the S10pack to the front. 2nd leaf of S10 pack goes in the rear with out removing any YJ leafs. That is how the original write up was done.

So it looks like this:

Front

YJ main
S10 main
S10 third
YJ 3rd
Yj 4th

Rear

YJ Main
S10 2nd
YJ2nd
YJ 3rd
YJ 4th
YJ 5th

By doing this you can reuse your U-Bolts, tighten them initially and check after 50 or so miles, Tighten as needed. Recheck in about 250 miles and retighten once more. By this time everything should have setteled in and there will be plenty of thread to fully tighten them down.

Of course if you are replacing U-Bolts just tighten them to factory spec. and STILL check them in 50 or so miles.....

This set up will level Your Jeep or get it closer to level and give you the +/- 2 inch lift.
Thanks. That should help a lot.
Unread 02-09-2012, 04:35 PM   #161
Muddi1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok guys/gals,

I am in the process of completing this on my 92 YJ......It had 2" lift shackles on it which have found the round file....I haven't let it settle in yet but I already have well over 2 inches OVER the 2" lift shackles....my front track bar is going to be ditched as it is way too short to even be anywhere near effective for its intended purpose. My brand new stock length shocks are extended completely and my front brake lines are at their max, I will be relocating them but I am wondering....any one else run into these issues?

I didnt take measurement prior to starting but it is way up there lol....I also replaced all my spring and frame shackle bushings. Could this be part of the extra lift?

I used the formula I posted in my last post and this is the result.
Unread 02-10-2012, 07:34 AM   #162
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddi1 View Post
Ok guys/gals,

I am in the process of completing this on my 92 YJ......It had 2" lift shackles on it which have found the round file....I haven't let it settle in yet but I already have well over 2 inches OVER the 2" lift shackles....my front track bar is going to be ditched as it is way too short to even be anywhere near effective for its intended purpose. My brand new stock length shocks are extended completely and my front brake lines are at their max, I will be relocating them but I am wondering....any one else run into these issues?

I didnt take measurement prior to starting but it is way up there lol....I also replaced all my spring and frame shackle bushings. Could this be part of the extra lift?

I used the formula I posted in my last post and this is the result.
Brake lines and shocks should have been considered before the lift as that they will need to be addressed during this conversion. At any rate, Great job! I am glad to hear that you had obtained a higher lift than what you had anticipated. I am sure that the spring packs will settle after a few cycles of suspension flexes. Did you also address the rear driveshaft angle?

I had purchased longer shocks for my shackle lift and dropped the mounts on my brake lines. But when I perform my spring work I will have to have new extended brake lines on hand before I begin the work. I am not too happy with my shackle lift, but they did get me out of a bind when I happened to come across a set of four 32x11.50 tires with rims for less than what brand new would have cost me.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #163
Muddi1
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I assumed I would be "ok" with stock length shocks since I had 2 inch lift shackles that were being removed and the shocks worked as they should have with the shackles.....I know NEVER assume lol.

I am going to do the brake line bracket relocation for the time being, I will be addressing them in short order (as soon as the rain lets up a bit) I have already replaced the front calipers and rotors, next is the rear section of the brake system my parking brake doesn't hold the way it should and it has new pads so new brake cables, wheel cylinders, drums, and axle seals are next on the list. I would like to eventually go to disc in the back but that is down the road a bit.

Drive line seems fine at this time, no bad vibes and the angle is not much at all, maybe 7-8 deg. That I will be taking care of with a Cherokee front drive line and a yoke bolted to my outputshaft, much like Marcus Ohm's did with his Cherokee on his page and how TH400 yokes are bolted. The yoke I can pick up fairly inexpensively and the drivelines are cheaper than a dozen eggs around here.

Definetely a learning experience since I used to drive a dropped S-10 that I traded for the Jeep.
Unread 02-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #164
BPJOOP93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just finished mine last night. had to buy new u-bolts for the front, the stockers were just long enough to be too short. I am probably going to dump my buck tooth shackles for the stock ones cause right now i gained around 3.5 ". over all money spent, springs $75---mis. hardware $23------new u-bolts front $50
grand total of $148 not including beer and heat for shop.
thanks to all who posted for the help and tips along the way
will try to post pics tomorrow. never done that before.
BPJOOP93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #165
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPJOOP93 View Post
Just finished mine last night. had to buy new u-bolts for the front, the stockers were just long enough to be too short. I am probably going to dump my buck tooth shackles for the stock ones cause right now i gained around 3.5 ". over all money spent, springs $75---mis. hardware $23------new u-bolts front $50
grand total of $148 not including beer and heat for shop.
thanks to all who posted for the help and tips along the way
will try to post pics tomorrow. never done that before.
That is great news! Glad to hear thay you have it finished. It seems that the results vary anywhere from 1-1/2" to 2-1/2" of lift, this must have something to do with the amount of fatigue of the springs, or the type of equipment that has been added to the rig, ie: front and rear bumpers, tire carrier, winch, roof rack, hard top, etc.

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.