Cutting the S10 leaf to size. If you do this job, have some spare cutting wheels around. They only last for about 1½ spring cuts. That spring steel is some hard stuff.
I used a bench vise and a big pry bar to open up the stock clamps on all the packs. On the rear springs I just squeezed them back together somewhat after swapping out leafs (leaves?) but on the front ones I tried straightening out the top tang of the clamp. It ain't easy but a large hammer and some perseverance got it done.
Here is a pack ready for reassembly. This is the left front spring. I added a full leaf and replaced the second YJ leaf with another S10 leaf (including the nice clamps on the ends) because the front end was originally sitting an inch or so lower than the rear so I want to try to get it close to level. It's a guessing game as to which leafs you use and how many. Here's an interstin' piece of info: the original YJ springs measure .260" thick (just a hair over 1/4"), and the S10 springs come in at .325". Not a huge difference but enough to suffice. The two white-ish leafs are the S10's.
A rebuilt pack ready for install (rear). I made new center pins from grade 5 bolts and ground the heads round.
This is what it looks like installed. This is the right rear. You can see the full leaf I added right under the main YJ ply. You can see just a little difference in thickness.
A note on extended shackles. As I was preparing to start on the front end, I noticed my front two shackles were bent and the front springs, diff and all had shifted toward the driver's side by about 1/2" or better. I haven't gone off road at all since I installed them. They just bent from road use. Do ya think this might cause a slight hanling problem at highway speeds!? Getting rid of these should make her handle way better on the road.
I hereby take an oath, I will never, ever use lift shackles again as long as me and my Jeep shall live. Amen.
So, how much lift did I gain, you say? Patience, Glasshoppa. Patience...
I measured the rear while the extended shackles were still installed and I netted right at 3" of lift. In other words, if you do this mod and don't change anything else, one S10 ply will give you roughly 3" of lift. I removed the piece-o-crap shackle and I still got 25" to ground for a final 2" lift from where it was before I did this upgrade.
The front, I have only one side installed and need to get to the bone yard for some oe shackles as I cut a couple of mine up installing the new junk. But I measured it with one oe shackle in place and I got 3" of lift there.
The fronts are a bit more difficult to get everything lined up for reinstall. I ended up unbolting the shock so I could lower the front diff far enough to hang the spring pack on the axle saddle first then bolt it to the spring hangers.
Combining an additional leaf on the front along with swapping out a YJ leaf for a thicker S10 leaf, my front u-bolts are not going to be long enough to get the nuts on the u-bolts fully. So I will be finding a spring shop to get some new front u-bolts made.
It just happened to work out that I could have gotten by with just two S10 Springs instead of four. Each S10 pack had three plys plus a honkin' big helper spring. I used one middle ply on each rear pack and then a main ply and a lower ply on each of the front packs. Who knew.
I will post some final pictures of the Jeep once I get that last front spring done along with a preliminary road test report.