Bastard Pack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bastard Pack

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanRCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.com

Unread 04-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
sjuice
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Bastard Pack

Will the Bastard Pack lift idea work on a stock yj? I searched and only found one post with a yj. If I go this route what other things will i have to do to keep it running. For example would i have to do anything to the steering TC driveline or anything similar to that if i just add leafs to the front and back?

sjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #2
rogerhill
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i don't know what this is but I would like to. Could you explain it?
rogerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
sjuice
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well im still a newbie on the idea too, but from my understanding you can get the leaf springs from a early s-10 or similar models and add them? or replace the ones on your YJ and it gives you lift. Im not 100% sure on it but thats what im getting from my research
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pro comp sells an add a leaf kit that you might want to check out. Or get on RoughCountry.com and see what you think. They have a 10% discount for forum members.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
rogerhill
1993 YJ Wrangler 

oh ok Thanks.
rogerhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Generally adding a leaf will not acuase you to replace anything. Most get about 1.5-2 inches of lift depending on what spring you add. it will ride stiffer, but will lift it.
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #7
sjuice
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just checked out the pro comp one and what if my yj isnt raised at all already? will that effect the outcome? there options only have it if your jeep is already lifted
Unread 04-20-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
yotefever
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Check our these posts and see if they help.
This is on my list of things to do.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...hread-1098044/

http://www.generalspringkc.com/index...arent=112&pg=1

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...led-yj-752903/
yotefever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am running s-10 bastard packs on my yj. Used the main S-10 spring cut down to the same length as the YJ mains, then the S-10 second spring in place of the YJ second leaf. Gained about 2.5", although I am tempted to add another leaf to add a bit more height.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #10
Rynfw100
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just finished the bastard pack on my jeep within the last month. I replaced two YJ springs with two S10 springs in the rear, and took out 1 YJ spring and added 1 S10 spring and 1 3/4ton Silverado spring in the front. This netted me 3.5in in the front and 2.5-3 in the rear. It rides like a bus, but I haven't taken my Traction bars off yet. But it's a fairly standard streamlined process. The only difference between buying a lift kit and doing this, is you choose how high you want to go.

One thing you need to look into that others haven't detailed that I ran into is the Teflon padding or the noise suppressants on the ends of the springs to eliminate squeaks. I drilled each end for the Teflon pads on the rear, which is horrible, spent $80.00 on drill bits. Instead, use a material called Graphite Lubricant, or Slip Plate. It's like $10.00 for a spray can, Applies like paint, but sticks to it for a loooong time. My rear springs squeak more than my fronts, and I applied the Graphite to the front. I got it from an industrial retailer.

It depends on your Jeep if you need a TC drop or any other driveline correction. Some people got 3in of lift and didn't need to. After I lifted the Rear and drove it around for a week, I needed a TC drop. For about $50.00 w/ shipping I got one from skyjacker, and it fixed all of the vibrations.

But here's the before and after shots

If you need any help at all, links to the Slip plate, etc, PM me or go to the link above to the FAQ and ask the OP of that thread, he helped me alot through my experience.
Rynfw100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.