Basic Rusty Panel Repair - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Rusty Panel Repair

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Basic Rusty Panel Repair

Redwind posted a question on repairing steel panels and someone in the thread asked me to do a write-up, i didnt expect a write up so i didnt take before pics but this is what i got. I'm no expert welder, an this was my first panel repair experiment. this may not be the best way to do it, but this was easy for me

I used a hobart arc welder, pull-in pins, a cutting wheel, grinder, and plastic body filler.

I repaired my drivers side floor pan, rocker panel, and the bottom of the tail gate.

I bought a floor pan and rocker panel of JCwhitney, i ordered the CJ7 panels since the YJ was unlisted, they are identical just to clear that up for everyone whos talked to a quadratec rep who says they arent.

First i cut out all the rusted sheet metal in floor panel an cut the rocker panel to an inch above the jeep logo, the same for the tail gate, i trimmed the panels to fit, i ran a few holes threw them an used pull pins, i dont know they tech name, and pulled them in

you have to make sure you grind off all the paint where you plan to weld an around it

i pined the panels into place an welded a bead along the edges of them an then grind them down

then i used plastic body filler an covered the edges of all the panels i welded, i was really generous with the stuff because you grin it down to make a more flush look when your done an painted

i herc'd inside, covered up the ugliness

i'll take pictures again when its painted

SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Did you weld it flush or overlap it? Can't really tell from the pics. Good Job BTW. Jeeps are meant to be cut up.
sprngrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

overlapped

an thanks
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.