JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   Basic Repair - Rear axle lug stud replacement (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/basic-repair-rear-axle-lug-stud-replacement-994897/)

Mean Max 03-19-2010 09:06 PM

Basic Repair - Rear axle lug stud replacement

Here is a simple easy repair that I just did on my wife's '93 YJ's rear axle. I replaced it & took a few pics along the way. For anyone who has little mechanical experience & has never done this repair, it's very simple and will only take a few minutes.

So you have a lug stud that is broken or has damaged threads. How do you replace it?

First you jack up the rear axle & remove the wheel & brake drum.
Make sure the wheels are properly chocked, the Jeep is properly supported with jack stands, and the parking brake is OFF.

Rotate the axle until the lug stud you are replacing is at the 3 or 9 o'clock position (depending on driver or passenger side) so that the damaged stud is closest to the front of the Jeep. This will keep it from damaging the brake components as you drive it out. Use a large hammer to pound out the offending stud.

Make sure to retrieve the old stud if it ends up landing in the brake springs & hardware like this one did.

Spray a little WD-40 (or any type of light oil) on the new stud & insert it from the rear of the axle flange. Use a larger nut as a spacer between the axle flange and lug nut & tighten the nut until you can see the stud seated into the flange.

Here's some tips.

1) Get at least an extra lug nut or two. You will likely damage the one you use to pull the stud into place during the repair. Use a regular style lug nut that is open on both sides.

2) Use an impact gun if you can. I have a 110 volt impact gun that I bought from Harbor Freight for about $39.00, and it worked like a champ.

The parts store can look up the proper lug stud by model application. The YJ's use a 1/2" X 20 size lug stud.

Max :cheers2:

Fhajad 03-19-2010 09:11 PM

Would the repair for the front disc brakes be the same way? That's the one that broke on mine.

Good write up regardless. :cheers:

erockz 03-19-2010 09:30 PM

Mean max, I cant tell by the pic if you did this or not but, If you place a washer behind the large nut it allows it to spin some and also putting alittle grease between the friction surfaces but not on the stud itself actually helps in saving the lug nut. Otherwise as you showed, thats the easy way to replace a wheel stud front or rear withou goin and buyin the tool to do it. Which essentially does the same thing but costs more.

Mean Max 03-19-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fhajad (Post 9119875)
Would the repair for the front disc brakes be the same way? That's the one that broke on mine.

Good write up regardless. :cheers:
Thanks. The front ones are quite similar. You'll need to remove the brake caliper, & the brake rotor too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by erockz (Post 9120047)
Mean max, I cant tell by the pic if you did this or not but, If you place a washer behind the large nut it allows it to spin some and also putting alittle grease between the friction surfaces but not on the stud itself actually helps in saving the lug nut. Otherwise as you showed, thats the easy way to replace a wheel stud front or rear withou goin and buyin the tool to do it. Which essentially does the same thing but costs more.
No I didn't use a washer, but that is a great tip. Grease probably would probably keep the nut from being damaged. I wasn't planning on re-using the nut, so I did not take that precaution. Thanks for the tips! :thumbsup:

Max :cheers2:

The time now is 08:23 AM.