Basic Repair - Front end alignment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Repair - Front end alignment

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Basic Repair - Front end alignment

My wife's '93 YJ had developed an issue with wandering lately, so I decided to check the alignment. Jerry (JeepsOLot here on JF) came over to the shop & helped me out today, so we took some pics to show you how we did it.

We jacked the Jeep up & checked over the front end components for excessive play. Everything checked out fine, so we moved along to setting the "toe" adjustment.

Here's the main component of my high tech, state-of-the-art homemade alignment machine.

Yes, it really is a chunk of 2X4 with a 16 penny nail driven through it & then bent over a bit.
In this picture, the wood was moved back until the nail lightly contacted the tire, and then the tire rotated AWAY from the nail for a full rotation.

You will get a nice thin line completely around the tire like this one. Do this on both front tires.

Now measure the distance from one tire mark to the other. Measure on the front of the tires, and again in the rear. I usually measure right at the height of the leaf springs, so I know I'm measuring in the same place each time. It makes no difference what number is, only that you get an accurate measurement. Adjust the tie rod until you have 1/16" to 1/8" LESS in the front. This one measured the same front & back, so there was no toe-in at all. I adjusted it to 1/8" toe-in & it completely changed the way it drove. No more wandering, and the wheel returns to center (after turning) promptly.

I have a Rocky Road OTT high steer kit on this YJ, so I didn't go into making the adjustments in this thread, as the steering linkage is quite different than the stock setup.

I hope this helps!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, that nail in the board is a great idea. A heck of a lot easier than measuring across the whole tires. I've always used this link in the past, even though it's a TJ, the adjustments are the same. I'm going to use the nail next time.

Basic Jeep Front End Alignment
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Max, one of these days I'm gonna drive to the east coast of Florida so we can have a beer. You have any good wheelin' places out by you?
88YJtoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88YJtoCJ View Post
Max, one of these days I'm gonna drive to the east coast of Florida so we can have a beer. You have any good wheelin' places out by you?
We have 1 place near us, and it's "okay" at best...

But the beer on the other hand.....

Anytime!

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 03-20-2010, 05:50 AM   #5
YJ-Jer
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Max! this beats the hell out of my, adjust, drive, adjust, drive, adjust, drive technique :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown
"You know you drive a YJ when you run over a shadow and feel the steering wheel jerk."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJ-Jer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

That is a cool trick, easier that trying to measure from the 'same lug' front and back.

Happy Wheelin'

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
xjoverkill

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Awesome.
Unread 05-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #8
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Please clean up that oil spill before someone slips!

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockWoRM View Post
Please clean up that oil spill before someone slips!

WRM
Actually, it's worse than oil!

It's antifreeze!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 05-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
Sleuthhound
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome write-up. Mine's been pulling quite severely. Might have to find myself a 16 penny nail or some such make a fancy alignment tool with.
Sleuthhound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Chalk another great write up to Mean Max!

I think I just drove past a Jeep alignment tool someone lost on the side of the road! Finders keepers!

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like Max is off line right now, but if you don't have said '2x4', you can simply scribe a line with a knife or sharp nail in the center of the tire. Some chalk works better, but most tires are dirty enough to make a mark. Mark both tires at the same lug/spot/level on each side. Since the Jeep is/should be on jack stands, alll you have to do is, with the help of a buddy, is measure the front, then rotate the tires 180* to the rear. Take the rear measurements using the exact same mark. Repeat back and forth until toe is set. This is basically exactly the same thing as the full nail scribe and gets you the same results. Just another/different way of doing it.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2010, 10:25 AM   #13
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just a quick question here Max - wouldn't the measurement change with different sized tires or is it that small that it doesn't matter?
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Just a quick question here Max - wouldn't the measurement change with different sized tires or is it that small that it doesn't matter?
Yes it would, but I've had good luck with those numbers on 33" tires.

If you are inclined to do so, you could use more toe-in (like 1/8"-3/16") for larger tires, and less toe-in (like 1/32"-1/16") for smaller tires. As your tire diameter grows, the more exaggerated the toe-in measurement will seem.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 10-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #15
InEmberClad
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe a dumb question, but which Tie Rod end should be adjusted for this? Or should it be both of them? What's the easiest way to make sure its not just one wheel with a toe in instead of both of them being equally aligned?
InEmberClad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.