Basic Maintenance - Seat belt reel service - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Maintenance - Seat belt reel service

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #46
--chris--
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boujo View Post
Unfortunately i have to add tot he resurrection of the old thread, but my 95YJ seat belt does not look like that at all. When it is fully extended there is stitching in the belt to restrict any further extension, therefore you cannot see the retractor.

I tried using PB blaster on the sides, even though I could not see the plastic barrel, but it is till far from new.

Any ideas?
Same thing here with my 94. Weird, because i think i read further back in the thread a few people have successfully done this with the later model year YJ's.

--chris-- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #47
castorriver
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Same here with my '95. It looks like I'll have to drill out the rivets holdin on the side bracket to get to the mechanism.
Registered Nurse Jeep Club Member #1 (I think...)

Verse 36: And He said to them, "But now, whoever has a money belt is to take it along, likewise also a bag, and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one.
castorriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #48
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I'm going to revive an old thread here, but as somebody asked further back, are the front and rear also specific? My pass side front belt doesn't have the lock when under force (i.e. when you pull sharply it doesn't lock, so in a crash would be useless) so could I just swap the rear pass to the front pass or are they also too different to use in different locations?

Thanks Max
Unread 06-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #49
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, they are all different front/back/left/right for '92 & newer. You need the correct one for each seating position, except for the rear belts that will interchange left/right.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2012, 03:17 AM   #50
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

OK, thanks Max. Good job I asked really as I was going to do this when I got some spare time
Unread 06-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #51
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is there also a write up on how to clean out the steel ball mechanism in the seat belt. As I understand it, that is how it locks.....when the steel ball moves due to vehicle deceleration it pushes up on the latch to lock the belt. If the ball is dirty it will not move properly. Anyone have pics of this?
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2012, 09:35 AM   #52
Rich G
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I did this maintenance and it made a world of difference, all the trips in the mud and water made mine rust and seize up.

Nice write up!
Rich G is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #53
tonymartin
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctm View Post
Is there also a write up on how to clean out the steel ball mechanism in the seat belt. As I understand it, that is how it locks.....when the steel ball moves due to vehicle deceleration it pushes up on the latch to lock the belt. If the ball is dirty it will not move properly. Anyone have pics of this?
I am having trouble with my p. side not locking (didn't realize until I checked the other day after owning it fro a year and ferrying the wife around in it sometimes.... My bad!)
Anyway, the "ball" looks more like a tiny bucket and the latch can get very sticky and cause things to jam open, thus stopping it from locking. I got a couple of snaps for it.

This is the mechanism with the main cover taken off. I drilled the rivet out.

This is the inside with the casing opened up. The little silver thing with the yellow top is the weight which activates the lock

This is a close up to show you what is inside. It scares me a little to think that the teeth and the locking part are all plastic. No chance of rust but they are very fragile!

I think something has broken out of the weight as it appeared to be hollow, but some left over stuff was in there, as though it had been filled with something.
The latch seemed to only be operable if the ball was full of stuff and was putting pressure on both parts holding it in. Otherwise it would just fall out easily when the casing was opened.
I will try to fill it with something, like RTV silicone or even some gum just t check if that helps. If so then there is a fix added. If not, I need a new seat belt!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.