Basic Maintenance - Seat belt reel service - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Maintenance - Seat belt reel service

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #16
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerJeep View Post
hey, I need some help. What if I let is slip back in? Now it won't feed me any belt. Is this some sort of thing to prevent people from taking it off? Do I have to buy a new belt? Help needed fast, thanks.
It'll be fine. Just hold it perfectly upright, as in the 3rd photo of my instructions. This will allow the ratchet mechanism to "unlock" if you gently work the belt in & out.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #17
mrmud4x4
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
Old wives are sometimes wrong.
Hey.....my ol' lady is never wrong.....hehehehe
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
YJBlues
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up max, only thing I would add is that sometimes stubborn torx need the persuasion of an impact driver the first time you get them loose. And I use an alternative lubricant, I have excellent results with liquid graphite, it lasts a LONG time. If you just post a picture of me applying it, you'll see what I mean
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:46 PM   #19
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJBlues View Post
Great write up max, only thing I would add is that sometimes stubborn torx need the persuasion of an impact driver the first time you get them loose. And I use an alternative lubricant, I have excellent results with liquid graphite, it lasts a LONG time. If you just post a picture of me applying it, you'll see what I mean
I don't even know why, but I've never been a fan of graphite lubricant. Because of that mental block, I never have any on hand & never consider using it.

If you have had good results with it, by all means post up a pic!

You never know how many folks you might help out!

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
YJBlues
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
I don't even know why, but I've never been a fan of graphite lubricant. Because of that mental block, I never have any on hand & never consider using it.

If you have had good results with it, by all means post up a pic!

You never know how many folks you might help out!

Max
heh, the pic thing was a joke Mr. Picture man!
The application is exactly the same as yours, the difference being that for areas like mine, where road salt and grime are a part of the road conditions, the graphite won't attract or hold the debris that a standard lubricant will.
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #21
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
heh, the pic thing was a joke Mr. Picture man!
Ah! I see!

I am really a "visual" person, so there is no doubt that I probably post more pics up on JF than almost anybody!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #22
mdywglr4x4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just ordered up some rear belts and front belts to remove some racing seats. Definitely will service the belts before install.
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #23
BallerJeep
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Max! Wow, I was pulling and yanking like no other! haha. I though my dad was going to tan my hind end for breaking ANOTHER piece of my Jeep while trying to fix it. Thanks again! :-D
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:03 PM   #24
YJBlues
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Ah! I see!

I am really a "visual" person, so there is no doubt that I probably post more pics up on JF than almost anybody!

Max
Pics help as much or more than any explanation, your arsenal or visual aids astounds me,
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:10 PM   #25
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallerJeep View Post
Thanks Max! Wow, I was pulling and yanking like no other! haha. I though my dad was going to tan my hind end for breaking ANOTHER piece of my Jeep while trying to fix it. Thanks again! :-D
You're quite welcome! Glad you got it all handled!
Quote:
Pics help as much or more than any explanation, your arsenal or visual aids astounds me,
Have you looked through my photobucket albums? I take pictures of EVERYTHING I can think of that might help someone out!
Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 02-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #26
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Is it possible to use the rear driver's belt to replace the front driver's belt? Mine does not work correctly, and even after I do this little maintenance, if it still doesn't work can I just swap out a rear belt to the front? I can't remember visually if they are vastly different, and I'm far away from my YJ currently so I can't just walk out to the garage to inspect.

As a disclaimer, I don't use my back seat, so I don't have to worry about anyone not being safe in the rear of my Jeep.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #27
Dewster196
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just did this and wow my drivers side I used to have to manually feed the belt back in after I got out what a difference I used marvelous mystery oil in an aerosol can.

Lets hear it for Max on a quality informative write up, you saved me $200.00 on new belts.

Unread 03-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #28
HARLEYX2
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Nice fix so Im not trying to highjack your thread. I work for a dealer and seatbelts are warrantied for the life of the vehicle. The goverment makes them do it for safety. Why not just go to the dealer and get new ones for free?
HARLEYX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #29
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLEYX2 View Post
Nice fix so Im not trying to highjack your thread. I work for a dealer and seatbelts are warrantied for the life of the vehicle. The goverment makes them do it for safety. Why not just go to the dealer and get new ones for free?
That is a valid point, but we are jeepers, we are of a different mindset...we FIX things! Of course new belts would rock!
Unread 03-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #30
only_in_a_yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARLEYX2 View Post
Is that true for every state?
94 YJ, 4" RC Lift, Mile Marker Winch, HiLift on custom mount, 33x12.50 Maxxis Buckshots on Pro Comp Xtreme Steel Wheels, CB in custom center console, fire stick antenna, with some west virginia pin stripes and body rust accents.
only_in_a_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.