Basic Maintenance - NP231J transfer case oil change - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Maintenance - NP231J transfer case oil change

Rugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped OGreat prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadOconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!

Unread 07-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #31
animal0307
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Excellent write-up. In the first post, you indicated 2.2 pints of ATF, did you intend to say 2.2 quarts? Also, does it matter what type of ATF is used (MercIII; TypeF, etc.)?
Since you didn't your answer I'll ask also. Does is matter what type I use? I have an auto trans so if I can just use the same type in both it's one less jug to carry around.

animal0307 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #32
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

At the time I originally created this writeup, I used the capacity that had been listed elsewhere because I couldn't recall exactly how much I had used. For the record, it takes just a bit less than 2 quarts of ATF when you simply do a "dump & fill" fluid service.

The type of ATF to use is 100% irrelevant, I recommend to use the cheapest available. Different types of ATF exist because of the different requirements needed in the friction modifier aspects of the different fluids, specifically with respect to the friction materials of the bands & clutch plates. Your transfer case does not contain any such material, therefore the friction additives in the different types of fluid are without consequence. Simple lubrication is the only goal.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #33
animal0307
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Cool. Thanks Max
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #34
Ihartleafsprngs
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just a note, if you don't have metrics that big with you when you might need to do this ( for example after having to have a logger pull you out of an impromptu mud hole with his skidder). a 12pt 1 3/16 socket will fit the drain and fill plugs nicely.
Ihartleafsprngs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #35
animal0307
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Here is how I refilled mine for anyone else that had troubles at first. Short wide funnel and a short piece of vinyl tubing. I had just enough between the extension housing and the tub to empty a whole bottle with ease. warning the tubing I used was fit snug in the fill port and I managed to over fill the case by a far amount and wasted a good deal into my oil pan.

Unread 10-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #36
StayClassy
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write up.

I just did this a few hours ago, and it was super easy. The only bad part was that there was barely any old fluid in there! Good to go now.
StayClassy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #37
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just to be clear here, how much ATF fluid do you need for this drain and fill?
On this Fluid Capacities thread, it says 1.1 quart http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...cities-489932/

But you're saying 2.2 quart.

If anyone could let me know, that'd be great. I'll be diving into this this weekend.
Nishbot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2014, 11:37 PM   #38
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishbot View Post
Just to be clear here, how much ATF fluid do you need for this drain and fill?
On this Fluid Capacities thread, it says 1.1 quart http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fa...cities-489932/

But you're saying 2.2 quart.

If anyone could let me know, that'd be great. I'll be diving into this this weekend.
Apparently, the technical accuracy is elusive.

Since creating this thread a long time ago I have opened my own Jeep-only custom shop. I routinely drain & refill 231 transfer cases & have never exceeded 2 quarts. Usually it's around 1 & 3/4 quarts.

Don't over think it, grab 2 quarts of the cheapest ATF on the shelf & change it out.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 06-26-2014, 11:42 PM   #39
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice Max!
ATF+4 usually comes in 1 quart bottles, and I didn't want have to buy 3 quarts if I didn't have to.
So I'll be picking up 2 quarts of ATF tomorrow and diving in.

Thanks again!
Unread 06-26-2014, 11:47 PM   #40
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

By the way, Max, when you tighten the bolts, what torque do you tighten them to? Or if it's tight enough, that's all that matters?
Unread 06-27-2014, 01:19 AM   #41
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It doesn't have to be ATF4, you can use ANY brand, type, flavor, etc. ATF that you want. The only difference between ATF specifications is the additives package, concerning how the fluid reacts to the friction material inside the transmission. Your NP231 does not have any such friction material, the fluid provides only basic lubrication.

Just snug. NOT gorilla tight, it's only aluminum!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 07-04-2014, 07:38 PM   #42
Nishbot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Max! Thanks for all of the advice! Did this today. Seriously took me no more than 20 min! One thing I didn't do was scrape to the right to check the magnet for shavings. Should I go back in there and clean that magnet? Also the oil that came out before, definitely was not ATF. It looked like motor oil. Is it ok to mix ATF with motor oil in the TC?

Also, mine had Allen bolts instead of 30mm bolts. Just saying..

Unread 10-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #43
valingt
1991 YJ Wrangler 

so what do i do if the owner before me put gear oil in the t-case? should i just drane and refill with aft+ or what. Plz help im rebuilding in now and want to know if i should clean out as much as i can or will some gear oil not matter?
valingt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.