Basic Maintenance--Ignition switch - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Maintenance--Ignition switch

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #16
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

That particular model was $16.00, O'Reilley Auto parts. Regionally prices may vary. Delco was about $29 but wasn't available at the time on this Island.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #17
ankah
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Great write up, helped quite a bit. I still need some assistance, hopefully some one did this not too long ago.

The Jepp will not start thru the key, but I can bypass the relay (paper clip), and start it up, so the starter is fine. I changed out both the switch and the key cylinder (it had been acting funky, so I figured I might as well), but it still not fixed. - All the pictures were a great help, really.

Does anyone have a part number for the terminal that connects to the ignition switch? The blue 5 wire/prong female? I can find the black 4 wire connector, but not the blue, for some odd reason.

The black and blue are based on the pictures above, which I assume to be the original terminals.

If anyone can think of any thing else I should be looking into, by all means.
ankah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:29 AM   #18
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure about part numbers, you may be able to get the connector at a junkyard with a few snips. Why are you suspecting this? If you can start your Jeep by bypassing the relay, would this not suggest you have a bad relay? Which relay is it you are jumping across--starter? fuel pump? ASD?

Yes, the wiring shown in my photos is stock/original wiring. Are you working on your Cherokee, or on a YJ--I'm not sure but there could be some differences. Welcome to the forum.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 02-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #19
ankah
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Hi! thanks for the reply and the welcome!

I should have posted with greater detail.

It is a Cherokee, XJ, 94, 4.0, with the tilt wheel.

I did the bypass test on the road just to see if the starter was really dead or if it was a power issue (I think some one explained it to me to check on a fuel pump). Any how, I just remove the relay and connect the 87 to 30. Starts right up if the key is on the "on" or "start" position. Went out and bought a new relay, and nothing. Thought about it, and did some more proper testing to make sure the starter was getting enough voltage, and nothing (it is once the car is started), so I figured it was somewhere between where the relay sits and the ignition.

I have replaced both the cylinder and the ignition switch. The original switch looks as if it may have burned out on a terminal. The same burn/discoloration is more visible/apparent on the connector (the blue as in the above pictures).

I can not seem to find the right connector anywhere. Went to the one junk in the area with an XJ, and it (the connectors) were already cut out. Starting to think I will have to replace the terminals in the connector by hand, something that I have never done.

Just to clarify, I get all the idiot lights and I can hear all the pumps going when I turn the key to "start". It just does not crank.

**edit** I just noticed I am posting under the wrong forum....my apologies, I will find a similar topic over by the XJs

Last edited by ankah; 02-28-2013 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: mistake
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #20
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmmmmm. Got me, try a PM to QUE89YJ, he may have the answer right off the top of his head, or at least a pathway to run thru. It should be working if you can jump across those 2 terminals and it cranks--should do the same with a good relay. I have had an odd problem similar wherein the post on the relay "pushed out" the other connector from the terminal block and therefore wouldn't make contact, but it seems if this were the case, you'd perhaps get similar from the paperclip.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #21
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the relay power side works you need to see if there is voltage to the control side of the relay. Does the relay pull in when you turn the key? Check voltage on pins 85 and 86 of the starter relay when you are trying to start it. Your troubleshooting showed it's a control side issue.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #22
ankah
1994 XJ Cherokee 

What do you mean by pull?

I read on another portion of the forum about the neutral safety switch, so I started the car (jumping the relay) and saw that my reverse lights are not working when I shift it to reverse (it is an automatic), indicating a possible issue with the NSS.

Before I start to fool around with it, and please forgive my ignorance, but the NSS works at the ignition level, not at the starter? In other words, if the NSS switch was bad, could I still "jump" the starter at the relay?

Thank you
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Does it click when you turn the key to start? It will take 2 people to check it.
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #24
ankah
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, we noticed a click by where all the realys/fuses sit. You can feel it, but we can not seem to pinpoint which relay. I did remove the metal bracket, and looked/tugged at the wires underneath, and it did not fix the issue. All the fuses are fine, and the stater.relay is brand new
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #25
huntdogg
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for this write-up. It got me right through this project tonight!
huntdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #26
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntdogg View Post
Thanks for this write-up. It got me right through this project tonight!
Glad to see it's helping.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #27
galby81
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Great post!

I used this post today to fix the same problem. Mine was my accessories got overheated from a car starter being hooked up bad. Thanks for such an informative post.
galby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:27 AM   #28
asher82
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a question regarding a hard to turn key. The ignition switch works fine but my wife can't turn the key to start it. I have no problem but it is hard to turn. Starts right up when I do so. Is it Is it just the ignition cylinder? Any help is greatly appreciated.
asher82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:35 AM   #29
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the cylinder or the rod that connects it to the switch is binding.
Unread 02-07-2014, 11:56 AM   #30
asher82
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Que89YJ, is there a way to find out which it is? or should i just replace both to be on the safe side?
asher82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.