Basic Maintenance--Headlight Switch - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Maintenance--Headlight Switch

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #16
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88blkyj View Post
so i cleaned the switch today and run it for like 2 hours with the headlights on no shorting out. great im happy and think i have my problem fixed...So i give it the test and go ahead and flip on the brights...about 2 minutes later...there she goes shorting out again. what gives?
Get new switch. Install it.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 11:17 PM   #17
88blkyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just dont wanna waste 20 bucks and that not even be my problem...It looked so horrible when I opened it up and it cleaned up just fine. So why would It be doing this still if corrosion was the only problem?
88blkyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 01:36 AM   #18
VooDuuChild
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hey, it's all good. If cleanin it out fixed it, just use it. If it ain't broke don't fix it......or is that if it ain't broke, fix it till it is...or was it, if it ain't broke, wheel it till it is...??

all of the above? hehehe
VooDuuChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 08:56 AM   #19
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When you say shorted out, you mean the high beams went off?

If so, that sounds like the high beam circuit is pulling too much current, and you are tripping the circuit breaker. When this happens, if you leave the brights switched on, do they eventually come back on again (even if just for a moment)?

If this is the case it is the circuit between the dimmer switch and the headlamps that is at fault.

Regardless, here is the way to rule out your headlight switch as the culprit before you go out and start throwing parts at it. Get a alligator clip jumper with decent-sized wire. Disconnect the switch and jumper the 'batt' and the 'headlight' terminals at the headlight switch connector. Now put on the brights and wait. If they go off, you know that it is not your headlight switch that is at fault.

Remember that the headlight switch does not really send power to the headlights. It sends power to the dimmer switch. The dimmer switch decides whether to send the power to either the low beam or the high beam circuit. Therefore, if your headlights switch is working for the low beams, it works for the high beams since all it really sees is current going thru it on the way to the dimmer switch. If your low beams are working, that kind of indicates that your headlight switch might be fine. When you get the high beams going, the circuit draws more current and the breaker is opening.

There are only two things that can cause this to happen. One is if the high beam circuit wires - which are downstream of the dimmer switch - are drawing way too much current, for example due to a frayed wire touching ground. The other is if your headlight switch has an internal problem, and for whatever reason can handle the quantity of low beam current, but pukes at the higher, high-beam current.

Obviously it is easier to replace a plug-in switch than to chase a short through the wiring harness. So since you know your connections at the switch are good, the next step is to jumper the switch as I described above. If the problem goes away you are confident that you are not wasting $20 on a switch. If the problem persists, save the 20 and start checking your harness.

Let us know if it comes to that as I can give you a few tips on checking that harness.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #20
LoggingRoads
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
smile and go drink beer.
I'm thinking that I'll skip everything else and go right to this step...
LoggingRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #21
360yj1989
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I've had this problem too. The culpret is the switch itself which has a thermally sensitive circuit breaker built into the swich. What happens is over time the switch contacts get corroded (oxydized) and their resistance goes up. When the contact resistence goes up, heat is generated by the switch contacts when there is a heavy electrical load such as when the light are on. When this happens the breaker starts to warm up and eventually gets hot enough to break the circuit. It thinks there is a short in the wiring but in this case there is not. After a few minutes, things cool down and the breaker relaxes and makes contact again for a period of time. Then the sequence starts again.
I'm having this problem myself. after about 20 min of driving with the lights on (bright or dim doesn't matter) they go out. if i pull over for about five minutes they come back on. So all I have to do to remedy this is change the switch where you turn on the headlights? Simple enough. Also my headlights are now stuck on bright. when i hit the dimmer it has no resistance at all. Do you know if i have to basically tear apart the steering column to replace the dimmer switch?
360yj1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 09:27 PM   #22
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

There is a reasonable chance that this is your problem, change out your headlight switch. You should also check your grounds, they are adjacent to the headlights, inside the grill on each side.

For your dimmer issue, there is a long rod that extends alongside the column (on the "inside") that goes to a switch to the left side of the column at the level of the dash. The actual dimmer switch is there. You can activate it by hand to make it go to dim setting. You may be able to reattach the actuator rod without tearing into the column if this is where the problem is. If the problem is up at the other end you need to tear into the column. PM me and I will send you the links to do this, or just advanced search "epiccomputer" for any postings by me on the YJ tech column and you will find the link as well as a link to the fiero forum writeup on the teardown of the GM column. The Jeep column is a GM column.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #23
joebm83
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Gonna have to try this out! I was driving down the road with my high beams on and when I tried to switch back to low they blacked out completely! They wouldn't come back on at all. Lucky, I had a friend behind me so I just followed him home.
joebm83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.