Basic Maintenance - Fuel filter replacement - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Maintenance - Fuel filter replacement

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 12-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #46
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ziptye it to the frame lol. Plastic doesnt rust.

Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 03:02 PM   #47
craniumboy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227
Ziptye it to the frame lol. Plastic doesnt rust.
:thumbs:
Unread 02-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #48
VirginJeeper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced mine the day I bought my YJ, the PO had replaced it but used the same sized line so I didn't notice it was different, it took about a year for the line to wear through and leak gas. My local dealer says they dont have any elbow for the top of the filter is there a size line I am looking for? Thanks guys
VirginJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #49
t8tjt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I must have missed the step about dowsing your cigar before commencing! Seriously though nice work work! Tom
t8tjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #50
t8tjt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

So I just relieved pressure at the shrader valve with gas cap off, however, I only saw a couple drops or so of gas come out, is the pressure truly relieved? I expected more.
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:50 PM   #51
t8tjt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Guess those couple drops did it - job done.
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #52
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8tjt View Post
So I just relieved pressure at the shrader valve with gas cap off, however, I only saw a couple drops or so of gas come out, is the pressure truly relieved? I expected more.
Realize that you are not draining the line, rather only relieving the pressure. Also realize that the line pressure will be less the longer it sits - if you check the pressure 1 minute after turning off the pump the pressure will be higher than if you waited an hour to check it.

I suggest you have a catch basin at the ready & wear safety glasses or goggles when you do pull the filter hose connections apart, to protect yourself from any splashing, residual fuel in the line.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes for ya!

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #53
t8tjt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Went fine including two new little hoses at the filter. Worst part was the rusted bolts at the filter guard and holder.
Unread 06-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #54
chains45
2004 WJ 

Did it myself today, everything there was dirty as hell but no issues at all getting bolts off, removing filter and hoses and replacing. Took it for a drive and feel a significant increase in response. 155k miles and this is the first time I have done it, so seriously needed to be done.

Thanks for the writeup, huge help and kept this achy old man from having to chase the tools I needed.
chains45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #55
orngechevy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Instead of the schrader valve you can also just pull the fuel pump fuse and start the jeep when it dies the pressure has been released (learned that on my TJ but it wotks on my YJ too)
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #56
Soon2AdjustYou
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginJeeper View Post
I replaced mine the day I bought my YJ, the PO had replaced it but used the same sized line so I didn't notice it was different, it took about a year for the line to wear through and leak gas. My local dealer says they dont have any elbow for the top of the filter is there a size line I am looking for? Thanks guys
Curious to know as well. What size line is needed for the 2 small pieces? I've heard it is a dealer only part, but have also heard people using stock sizes from auto parts stores.
Unread 10-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #57
Soon2AdjustYou
1994 YJ Wrangler 

dual post...sorry
Unread 10-03-2012, 03:03 PM   #58
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon2AdjustYou View Post
Curious to know as well. What size line is needed for the 2 small pieces? I've heard it is a dealer only part, but have also heard people using stock sizes from auto parts stores.
Are you looking for the rubber piece that is L shaped coming from the hard line into the back of the filter? If so advanced auto keeps these in an isle and I found it at both the stores in my town. It is an S shaped piece of vaccum hose and u just cut it down to the size you need. It should be in the same section as the little pcv valves, they r the small elbows on the top of your valve cover. If you can't find one I believe I have the other half out in my garage sumwhere, I'll be glad to ship it to you if I can find it haha.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #59
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_YJ19 View Post
Are you looking for the rubber piece that is L shaped coming from the hard line into the back of the filter? If so advanced auto keeps these in an isle and I found it at both the stores in my town. It is an S shaped piece of vaccum hose and u just cut it down to the size you need. It should be in the same section as the little pcv valves, they r the small elbows on the top of your valve cover. If you can't find one I believe I have the other half out in my garage sumwhere, I'll be glad to ship it to you if I can find it haha.
PA_YJ19,
If I were you, I wouldn't plan on your vacuum hose lasting too long...because it is NOT designed to be compatible with gasoline!

The vacuum hose will likely start deteriorating on the inside and crumbling apart. I'd bet the crumbs will begin to plug off your filter and will begin leaking in the not too distant future.

In my '95, I just replaced my fuel filter again (it's been 2 yrs) and because my 'elbow' (inlet) rubber hose was in bad shape, I replaced it.

I used a section of 3/8" rubber FUEL hose to make the connection. Prior to fastening the hose section inline, I wrapped a section (~10") of soft, smooth wire around the middle portion of the hose. I then fastened the hose to the filter inlet and to the steel feed line. The wire-wrapped center section did not pinch - because the wire supported the hose and it kept it from pinching off.

If you want to know more, here is a quick read on more-than-you-ever-wanted-to-know about types and uses of fuel hose: http://www.gates.com/downloads/BarricadeBrochure.pdf

In the gates information, you may notice that they mention carb'd systems can use the low pressure hose with a max working pressure of 50psi and that injected systems should use the high-pressure hose that has a working pressure of 225psi.

Now although my '95 YJ is fuel-injected, I doubt the fuel pressure AT THE FILTER would see 50psi, so I used the low-pressure hose at the filter.

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #60
PA_YJ19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It is a fuel hose my man, I just wrote it wrong. My gas and filter r all good, it's been on there for 2yrs n it is just fine. I change my filter yearly n they never seem to look odd inside.
PA_YJ19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.