Basic Maintenance - Fuel filter replacement - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Maintenance - Fuel filter replacement

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-04-2010, 07:31 PM   #31
forstmeister
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Great write-up!

This made my project so much easier. The only thing I would have added was the sizes of the wrenches needed. I found it somewhere else and made my way through anyway. Thanks again for the help!

forstmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #32
Charles92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
This fuel filter write-up is one more of my "Basic Maintenance" threads and pertains to '87-'95 2.5L and '91-'95 4.0L YJ models.

Today a fellow JF member WhatsWrong came to my house so we could do some work on his '93 4.0L YJ that he needed to get done. One of those things was a fuel filter replacement on his nearly pristine Jeep. Even though his Jeep is in excellent condition, it might be possible that the previous owners may have never changed the fuel filter. Since he has recently acquired the Jeep, he has been working on getting all the little things sorted out. If your YJ is new to you, a fuel filter replacement is a cheap bit of insurance and can be accomplished in just a few minutes.

Start with the correct fuel filter in the brand of your choice. Note that it has been marked "IN" and "OUT" indicating the direction of fuel flow, "IN" meaning into the filter from the tank, and "OUT" meaning out of the filter to the engine.

Remove the gas cap to release pressure in the tank.

Locate the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Remove the cap & place some old rags around the valve.

Depress the stem in the center of the valve to release pressure from the line. The rag is there to absorb the fuel.
CAUTION!!! The fuel in the rail is under extreme pressure, exercise caution when releasing pressure to avoid being sprayed by fuel! Safety glasses are advisable.

The fuel filter is located underneath the Jeep on the frame rail, just forward of the rear tire on the driver's side. It has a protective guard plate attached with 4 screws.

The are 2 screws on the underside of the frame rail.

The remaining 2 screws are on the side of the frame rail.

Loosen the clamps for the inlet & outlet closest to the filter body before removing the filter clamp bolt. This will hold the filter steady while loosening the clamps.
CAUTION!!! There will still be plenty of fuel in the lines & filter! Eye protection is a minimum requirement!

Here you can see the bolt that is on the clamp. Once you remove the bolt, the top portion of the clamp that is hinged to the lower portion behind the filter can be removed.

Now the filter can be removed.
CAUTION!!! A lot more fuel than you think will still be in the filter! BE CAREFUL!

Install the new filter, paying close attention to the direction of flow as indicated on the new filter. Tighten the hose clamps securely, reinstall the filter clamp & bolt, and finally the guard plate.

Reinstall the cap on the gas tank & on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Get in the Jeep & turn the key to the "ON" position for at least 10 seconds and then off again. Repeat this cycle at least 7 or 8 times, this will help refill the lines & filter and also build some pressure in the system. Failure to do so will result in a much longer & harder initial start-up.

Lastly, there are some things to keep in mind:

1) Check for leaks as soon as you restart the engine. If there is a leak, the sooner you know about it, the better!

2) Check the hoses for signs of deterioration and replace them as needed. The 2 small hoses located at the filter are distinctly different sizes, and are a dealer item only, to the best of my knowledge.

This is an extremely easy project for even the most inexperienced novice. It's a good way to start learning about your Jeep, and building your mechanical skills slowly & confidently.

Thanks again to fellow JF member WhatsWrong for allowing me to use his YJ in this write-up!

Max
Great post. Very helpful.
Charles92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #33
GRYDE001
2008 JK Wrangler 

I just did this today and thought I'd add a couple of things
mean max is right about the gas.......that filter seems like it held 5 gallons, lol, the stuff kept coming down on my arm for what seemed like 5 minutes while I tried to get the old hose off the fuel line.
I didn't read this and see his note about the two small hoses (in pic) being diff sizes and a dealer only item....I actually went to my local John Deere (1 mile from house) and got 1 foot of fuel line (for free) and made those pieces out of it. No leaks so far

edit....oh, and the bolts are all 10mm
Unread 03-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #34
Krochus
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I recently replaced my filter with a FORD filter that has 3/8" fittings on both ends thus eliminating the need for that stupid and oft rotten split size moulded elbow that costs $30

I can't remember the PN but I believe its what 90's f150's take

posted via IPhone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickgnx88 View Post
"Jeep Wave threads, it's a newb thing, you wouldn't understand!"
Krochus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #35
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quick question: How *often* should this filter be changed?

I haven't been running Mexican gas through it or anything, but less than a year after changing it, I'm getting symptoms that seem like they could be fuel filter related.

Is this a part that should be changed every year, or should it last closer to 60, 70, 80 thousand miles?

(Edit: I only drive it like 4,000 miles a year, so I adjusted my question to fit a more normal range of driving)

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #36
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write up Max, so good even a girl can do it! I'm about halfway through right now and the only problem I've had is rusty bolts & heads snapping off.
Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 02:03 AM   #37
IloveMYredYJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i own a 94 yj, whenever i would try to go over about 2k rpms my jeep would lurch and surge acting like it was going to die. i found out it may be my fuel filter so i went and bought a new. im only 17 and dont know alot about vehicle maintenance, so once i found out were my fuel filter was i eagerly slid under my jeep and started unscrewing the small plate, after that i simple unscrewed the clamp and pulled the "in" flowing hose off and ta-da!! just like that a face full of gas. guess i should do more research next time.
IloveMYredYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 03:41 AM   #38
Charles92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This is the best write up for someone who is clueless about any kind of engine work. My wife could have changed the fuel filter with these instructions. Thanks!
Charles92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #39
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
Quick question: How *often* should this filter be changed?

I haven't been running Mexican gas through it or anything, but less than a year after changing it, I'm getting symptoms that seem like they could be fuel filter related.

Is this a part that should be changed every year, or should it last closer to 60, 70, 80 thousand miles?

(Edit: I only drive it like 4,000 miles a year, so I adjusted my question to fit a more normal range of driving)
CF,
My book says to change it every 30K miles or every 2.5 years.
I'd suggest you change your filter every 2.5 years, regardless of mileage, because rust and condensate water will still be formed inside the system even when your YJ is just sitting in the driveway. If the inside of your tank is pretty rusty, it could plug off your filter within a year. If your symptoms indicate a fuel supply system, changing it is a quick, easy & inexpensive task that may solve the problem.
If you do decide to change out your fuel filter, consider this check: When you remove the current filter, be careful not to spill out too much of the fuel inside. Locate a clean white bucket/container, large enough to place the filter into. Once you have the container, go back to the filter and put a finger over both both ends and give the filter a few good shakes then drain the fuel inside the filter into the clean container OUT THE INTAKE LINE and look for any crud that might drain out from inside. The white will allow you to see specs of crud or 'balls of water' that might drain out of the filter. If it seems like the crud is an issue, it might be time to schedule some time & $$ to remove the fuel tank and clean/seal the inside.
Good Luck!
J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #40
Newk76
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Quad View Post
CF,
My book says to change it every 30K miles or every 2.5 years.
I'd suggest you change your filter every 2.5 years, regardless of mileage, because rust and condensate water will still be formed inside the system even when your YJ is just sitting in the driveway. If the inside of your tank is pretty rusty, it could plug off your filter within a year. If your symptoms indicate a fuel supply system, changing it is a quick, easy & inexpensive task that may solve the problem.
If you do decide to change out your fuel filter, consider this check: When you remove the current filter, be careful not to spill out too much of the fuel inside. Locate a clean white bucket/container, large enough to place the filter into. Once you have the container, go back to the filter and put a finger over both both ends and give the filter a few good shakes then drain the fuel inside the filter into the clean container OUT THE INTAKE LINE and look for any crud that might drain out from inside. The white will allow you to see specs of crud or 'balls of water' that might drain out of the filter. If it seems like the crud is an issue, it might be time to schedule some time & $$ to remove the fuel tank and clean/seal the inside.
Good Luck!
J-Quad
dang, you're about a week late posting this... would have been a great thing for me to do when I changed ours, I even had the ends plugged off with my fingers as I handed it to my husband from under the Jeep.
Newk76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #41
redneckbrat
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This is a GREAT writeup, thanks for taking the time to do this. It was a great help for me. My only suggestion is to change the rubber hoses.
Unread 08-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #42
piperoo
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up. Will have to check your others out too!!
piperoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #43
craniumboy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRYDE001 View Post
I actually went to my local John Deere (1 mile from house) and got 1 foot of fuel line (for free) and made those pieces out of it. No leaks so far

I did this a few weekends ago when I bought my YJ, got normal fuel hose from o'reillys. Is this gonna make too big of a deal. no leaks so far and everything functions fine. also the bracket that holds the fuel filter... mine is missing the top half. Does it matter? other than for the sake of it rattling around. i guess i should pick one up the next time im ordering other parts. Just curious for now if it would matter.

Also I wish i knew about the schrader valve part!!! i just removed the cap and started pulling it out.
craniumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #44
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I always wear nitrile gloves when doing this type of work. I plan to change out mine this weekend! It may be original by the way it looks so rusted.
Unread 12-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #45
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by craniumboy View Post
....also the bracket that holds the fuel filter... mine is missing the top half. Does it matter? other than for the sake of it rattling around. i guess i should pick one up the next time im ordering other parts. Just curious for now if it would matter.
craniumboy,
I HATE rattles!! If your filter is banging around under there, it will likely develop a leak before too long. If I were you - I'd fasten it securely in some way or fashion. If the cost of factory 'filter holder bracket' is more than you want to pay:

(1) consider stopping by your favorite auto junkyard and seeing if you can get one off a crashed YJ.

Of course, you could always let your creative juices flow and:

(2) cut a 1" wide x 1/2 the can section out of a 'close to the same size' soup or fruit can, bend the ends of the section to form a couple of bolt tabs, drill a bolt hole through each tab, lay in a stripe of shop rag between the filter and the strap (to act as gasket material) and fasten your custom clamp tight!

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.