Basic Maintenance - Fuel filter replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Maintenance - Fuel filter replacement

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Basic Maintenance - Fuel Filter Replacement

This fuel filter write-up is one more of my "Basic Maintenance" threads and pertains to '87-'95 2.5L and '91-'95 4.0L YJ models.

Today a fellow JF member WhatsWrong came to my house so we could do some work on his '93 4.0L YJ that he needed to get done. One of those things was a fuel filter replacement on his nearly pristine Jeep. Even though his Jeep is in excellent condition, it might be possible that the previous owners may have never changed the fuel filter. Since he has recently acquired the Jeep, he has been working on getting all the little things sorted out. If your YJ is new to you, a fuel filter replacement is a cheap bit of insurance and can be accomplished in just a few minutes.

Start with the correct fuel filter in the brand of your choice. Note that it has been marked "IN" and "OUT" indicating the direction of fuel flow, "IN" meaning into the filter from the tank, and "OUT" meaning out of the filter to the engine.

Remove the gas cap to release pressure in the tank.

Locate the schrader valve on the fuel rail.

Remove the cap & place some old rags around the valve.

Depress the stem in the center of the valve to release pressure from the line. The rag is there to absorb the fuel.
CAUTION!!! The fuel in the rail is under extreme pressure, exercise caution when releasing pressure to avoid being sprayed by fuel! Safety glasses are advisable.

The fuel filter is located underneath the Jeep on the frame rail, just forward of the rear tire on the driver's side. It has a protective guard plate attached with 4 screws.

The are 2 screws on the underside of the frame rail.

The remaining 2 screws are on the side of the frame rail.

Loosen the clamps for the inlet & outlet closest to the filter body before removing the filter clamp bolt. This will hold the filter steady while loosening the clamps.
CAUTION!!! There will still be plenty of fuel in the lines & filter! Eye protection is a minimum requirement!

Here you can see the bolt that is on the clamp. Once you remove the bolt, the top portion of the clamp that is hinged to the lower portion behind the filter can be removed.

Now the filter can be removed.
CAUTION!!! A lot more fuel than you think will still be in the filter! BE CAREFUL!

Install the new filter, paying close attention to the direction of flow as indicated on the new filter. Tighten the hose clamps securely, reinstall the filter clamp & bolt, and finally the guard plate.

Reinstall the cap on the gas tank & on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. Get in the Jeep & turn the key to the "ON" position for at least 10 seconds and then off again. Repeat this cycle at least 7 or 8 times, this will help refill the lines & filter and also build some pressure in the system. Failure to do so will result in a much longer & harder initial start-up.

Lastly, there are some things to keep in mind:

1) Check for leaks as soon as you restart the engine. If there is a leak, the sooner you know about it, the better!

2) Check the hoses for signs of deterioration and replace them as needed. The 2 small hoses located at the filter are distinctly different sizes, and are a dealer item only, to the best of my knowledge.

This is an extremely easy project for even the most inexperienced novice. It's a good way to start learning about your Jeep, and building your mechanical skills slowly & confidently.

Thanks again to fellow JF member WhatsWrong for allowing me to use his YJ in this write-up!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.

Last edited by Mean Max; 11-15-2009 at 11:48 PM..
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well done max, perfectly simple yet effective. Another awsome writeup lol, haynes needs to hire you to write the book on jeep
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 10:29 PM   #3
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

great write up
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nicely done!

I have seen enough YJ's experiance clogged fuel filters, that I carry a spare in my trailbox. Not just for myself, but if somebody else's gets clogged.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Hurley91

Thanks alot Max, i need to change mine soon.
Unread 11-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #6
SDGBASSE
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Great write-up, I would only add one little thing.....when you remove your old filter empty the "IN" port by gravity to check for rust in the tank, of course this isn't really usefull on those lucky newer models with plastic tanks......
Unread 11-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Without placing a dark cloud on a nice write up, but I would have spent a few extra bucks and replaced the old fuel lines as well. Another great write up Max!
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 06:37 AM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Solid write-up.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great writeup, as usual Max!

Boy, I wish my rusty '95 was as half as clean as the underside of 'WhatsWrong' '93!
When I went to change out my fuel filter (which I'm sure wasn't done for years), the clamps and protective guard plate attaching bolts were all rusted and corroded.
Even after hosing them down with PB Blaster prior to beginning the work, it was a Pain-in-the-But-Mister!

Consider yourself lucky to have such a clean undercarriage, WhatsWrong!

J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Przemekmsu
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I was looking for the filter in my Jeep and it was not in the same place as where your pictures are showing. I own a 1990 its a 6cyl, 4.2 L . Can any one guide me where I can find it??? Thanks
Przemekmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemekmsu View Post
I was looking for the filter in my Jeep and it was not in the same place as where your pictures are showing. I own a 1990 its a 6cyl, 4.2 L . Can any one guide me where I can find it??? Thanks
Carbed models should have a filter in the fuel line near the intake manifold.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #12
Przemekmsu
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Is this it????
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #13
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is this it????
Yessir!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #14
Przemekmsu
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thank You!!!!
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Thank You!!!!
To add to that, make sure your filter is level or just above the float of the carb.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.