Basic Maintenance - Engine Oil Change - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Maintenance - Engine Oil Change

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #31
Dreygo
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Aren't you supposed to use 75-90w gear oil in the tranny?

I'm just asking cause that is what I am using and that is what the book says.

Unread 09-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #32
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreygo View Post
Aren't you supposed to use 75-90w gear oil in the tranny?

I'm just asking cause that is what I am using and that is what the book says.
Here's why I use 10W-30 motor oil.

The Mopar gear oil part number used to be 4897622aa, but when you search that part number you'll see it has been superceded by part number 4761839AC which comes up as 10w-30 motor oil. Here's a link to search the Mopar part numbers.

Discount Mopar Parts Jeep Dodge Chrysler parts & accessories with great service

It's the "new factory spec" lubricant.

Based on that, I use 10w-30 motor oil. I buy the Wal-Mart "Super Tech" store brand oil because it's cheap, meets all the API (American Petroleum Institute) grade qualifications and I change mine often, at least every 6 to 12 months.

Here's my write-up on the easiest way I've found to change the tranny oil in an AX-15 gearbox.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...change-865520/

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #33
JuniataCounty
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Mean Max's Oil Change

Mean Max's Diff Lube Maintenance

Mean Max's Maintenance of an AX 15 transmission
JuniataCounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #34
jeepjerryp7m8
1982 CJ8 

Max, I pose this theory for you and anyone else.
I was told a long time ago that the high capacity oil filter was not as effective at filtering oil as a small or standard size filter because sub-micron size particles would build up around the edges of the already tiny holes in the filter material. These particles would make the holes in effect smaller allowing the filter to remove smaller impurities. So a smaller filter would "plug up" sooner becoming more effective, while a large filter would take longer to reach maximum effectiveness.
Keep in mind that the smaller filter would also loose its effectiveness sooner so an earlier change out would be needed.
I know people who change the filter quite often and top up the oil and extend change intervals quite a bit, often 4 to 6K or longer with almost all miles being on the highway.
jeepjerryp7m8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:48 PM   #35
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjerryp7m8 View Post
Max, I pose this theory for you and anyone else.
I was told a long time ago that the high capacity oil filter was not as effective at filtering oil as a small or standard size filter because sub-micron size particles would build up around the edges of the already tiny holes in the filter material. These particles would make the holes in effect smaller allowing the filter to remove smaller impurities. So a smaller filter would "plug up" sooner becoming more effective, while a large filter would take longer to reach maximum effectiveness. Keep in mind that the smaller filter would also loose its effectiveness sooner so an earlier change out would be needed.
Although I think that this may be a "technically" sound theory, to be honest if I have enough sub-micron particles in my engine's oil to be an issue, I'm looking to hard at all of this.

I know people who change the filter quite often and top up the oil and extend change intervals quite a bit, often 4 to 6K or longer with almost all miles being on the highway.
Extending drain intervals and/or running a synthetic oil is usually an attempt to save money or make an attempt at producing peak power or longevity of the engine in question.
Neither of these are on my list, as I spend WAAAY too much on our 3 Jeeps, and if my old '91 with 160,000 miles on it had any looser tolerances the pistons would be swapping holes!

All of this makes for good "shop talk" but when it comes right down to it, I think the only real reason I run a larger filter is because I can.

It's just a little something I figured out that I could do that makes me feel a little better/smarter, possibly in a placebo kind of way.

I guess in many ways I'm just a dumb redneck, and I'm okay with that, it's just my little place in this world.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 09-28-2009, 09:20 PM   #36
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any pics or advice on a power steering drain and refill? Never could find out how to do that

EDIT
Found it here. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...-fliud-859596/

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.

Last edited by YJake; 09-29-2009 at 11:24 AM..
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #37
beerformeplz
1983 CJ7 

Just changed my oil on my 4cyl and the larger oil filter works fine on it also. Thanks.
beerformeplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:40 PM   #38
RaptorPDX
2003 WJ 

Thanks alot for this breakdown. I'm new to jeepforum and just started tinkering with my 03 WJ and this was very helpful to a nervous newbie.
RaptorPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #39
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Max,
Didn't you have a pic of a Fram PH8A on this, or a similar, thread/write-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2010, 06:27 AM   #40
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideYJeep View Post
Max,
Didn't you have a pic of a Fram PH8A on this, or a similar, thread/write-up?
Hmmm, I don't remember.

I used to use the PH16 Fram (same as stock size) all the time and then I used a PH8A to see about the larger size once or twice, so some pics may exist of my Jeeps with the Fram filters.

However after all the negative press I've been seeing with Fram filters and the fact that I can buy Motorcraft & Mopar filters at Wal-Mart for the same (or sometimes less!) than the Fram, I decided to switch.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 10-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #41
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Hmmm, I don't remember.

I used to use the PH16 Fram (same as stock size) all the time and then I used a PH8A to see about the larger size once or twice, so some pics may exist of my Jeeps with the Fram filters.

However after all the negative press I've been seeing with Fram filters and the fact that I can buy Motorcraft & Mopar filters at Wal-Mart for the same (or sometimes less!) than the Fram, I decided to switch.

Max
Hmm...so what do you use for an air filter?

Quote:
Unread 10-20-2010, 06:28 AM   #42
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideYJeep View Post
Hmm...so what do you use for an air filter?
I have always liked the Wix brand premium filters, but I have typically been too cheap to buy a pricey air filter that I'll end up throwing away because I dunked my Jeep in some deep water.

Then I found out that my local auto parts store carries the whole line of Parts Master products, which are the discount line of parts. The filters (all filters, air, oil, fuel, etc.) are actually Wix filters, without the premium price.

Using my '91 4.0L as an example:

A Wix air filter #46123 has a list price of $12.29

A Parts Master air filter #66123 has a list price of $8.09

Same filter, different box.

As my parts guy said to me, "It's the same as store bread & Wonder bread, same stuff with a different wrapper."

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 10-20-2010, 06:25 PM   #43
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks again Max!

Quote:
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #44
n8dawgbu
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you Max, this made my life a lot easier for changing it myself for the first time.
n8dawgbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #45
RandyTJ
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsurfer View Post
That's interesting... I have never heard of changing the filter before draining the oil pan. I guess it's just the way my father taught me that I drain the pan first then change the filter...
Wow....I have been changing my oil for over 40 years.......always pull the plug first........I guess I'll have to give the other way a try.

Never too old to learn!!
White 2005 LJ, Rubicon, Rubicon Express 3.5 SuperFlex, Goodyear 315/75/16 MTR's, Pro Comp 97 16x8 wheels, UCF Tummy Tuck, 1" Prothane BL, 1" JKS MML,Tereflex Disco's, 10,000 lb. winch. CB Radio, Fire Extinguister, Synthetic Fluids, Driving Lights....
1999 XJ 6.5 Lift, Rusty's Long Arm, Four Link Rear Suspension, ARB Lockers Front and Rear, Alloy Axles....
RandyTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.