Basic Maintenance - Engine Oil Change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Maintenance - Engine Oil Change

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Basic Maintenance - Engine Oil Change

I did an engine oil change on my '91 4.0L YJ today with the help of my daughter. Here's how we did it.

Start by getting 6 quarts of oil. I change mine often, so I just use the Wal-Mart store brand 10W-30 motor oil. It comes in 5 quart jugs & 1 quart bottles. I also use Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) as it seems to help my sticky lifter situation, and it makes up for the larger capacity oil filter I use.

The factory specified oil filter for my '91 4.0L is the Mopar MO 090 oil filter. I use the Motorcraft FL-1A oil filter because it has the same 3/4 X 16 thread pitch mounting plate, the same diameter seal, but more filter area and a larger capacity.

Basic hand tools are all that are required.

I always start with a warm engine. I had driven the Jeep around town today prior to the oil change.

Remove the oil filter first. This will allow the oil from the filter to drain back into the pan, much like removing your finger from the tip of a straw filled with soda. Also you should inspect the sealing surface to insure that the sealing ring from the old filter isn't stuck on the block.

Now drain the oil from the pan. In this case, a 9/16" socket was all that I needed.

Do not reinstall the drain plug until the oil stops draining in a steady stream. Once the stream turns into a drip, you're okay to reinstall the plug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.

Last edited by Mean Max; 09-25-2009 at 09:56 PM..
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

I usually pre-fill the oil filter about 2/3 of the way with fresh oil. This reduces the time that it takes to build oil pressure.

Be sure to lube the sealing ring of the new filter with fresh oil prior to installation.

Install the new filter. I only hand tighten the filter about 3/4 to 1 complete turn from the time the seal makes contact with the engine block. Realistically, you want it really snug (by hand!) but "Gorilla tight" is uncalled for.

Refill the engine with fresh oil. Prior to starting, make sure that you have adequate oil on the dipstick and there is no fresh oil dripping from the drain plug or in a huge puddle under the Jeep.

Now restart the engine & make sure that your engine builds oil pressure. Once you build oil pressure, leave the Jeep running in Neutral or Park (with the parking brake on!) and look for any sign of an oil leak while running.

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.

Last edited by Mean Max; 09-25-2009 at 09:34 PM..
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #3
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

While you're under the hood, check out some key items while waiting on the oil to drain. Look at the battery, it should be fairly clean, dry, and the terminals should be free of corrosion.

Check the level & condition of the power steering fluid. Only use power steering fluid or ATF in the power steering reservoir. If it looks dirty or smells "burnt" then you should consider changing it.
NEVER PUT BRAKE FLUID IN THE POWER STEERING!

Check the clutch fluid level & condition in the reservoir. Again, dirty fluid should be a candidate for a fluid change. Use only DOT 3 or 4 fluid from a new sealed container.
NEVER PUT POWER STEERING FLUID OR ATF IN THE CLUTCH FLUID RESERVOIR!

Check the brake fluid level & condition in the reservoir. Again, dirty fluid should be a candidate for a fluid change. Use only DOT 3 or 4 fluid from a new sealed container.
NEVER PUT POWER STEERING FLUID OR ATF IN THE BRAKE FLUID RESERVOIR!

Don't forget the coolant overflow container from the radiator. Refill it with a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze & water. Also check the windshield washer fluid level.

BE RESPONSIBLE! Properly reclaim & recycle all old oil products.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Mean Max; 09-25-2009 at 09:57 PM..
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:05 PM   #4
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Cute kid! Like the sunglasses
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Nice write up for basic maintenance...Thanks Max!

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for sharing the info on the higher capacity oil filter. I will be getting one of those next time I change the oil
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #7
Leans93
She's my density...

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna have to get a set of those tools with the eyballs cute pic!

93' YJ 4.0L AX-15, 4" Pro Comp lift, 3/4" shackles, 1" BL, 33x12.5x15 BGF MT's, and some other stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones
Catch me on the highway or about to tear the mall up.
Leans93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #8
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leans93 View Post
I'm gonna have to get a set of those tools with the eyballs cute pic!
It's her "Handy Manny" tool set!

She loves helping & "driving" the all 3 of our Jeeps!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 09-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
StormlessWolf
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Max, thanks for taking the time to do this write up ! Sometimes, the simplist things are the ones that get us hahah! Good to have this on hand!

BTW, not to hijack the thread, did you install the Transgo kit for your buddy who had the late shifting auto?

Cameron
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him."
- Buddha
StormlessWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormlessWolf View Post
Max, thanks for taking the time to do this write up ! Sometimes, the simplist things are the ones that get us hahah! Good to have this on hand!
I see folks on here who have had no exposure to even the simplest tasks and ask what most wrench spinners would call a "stupid question" or worse they won't ask because they don't want to appear inept. The truth is that these folks are probably plenty smart in their own field of expertise, but want to learn about their Jeep. Hopefully, this will help some questions for the "new" guys & gals.

BTW, not to hijack the thread, did you install the Transgo kit for your buddy who had the late shifting auto?
No I haven't. I suggested it to him and he wants to do it, but I just found out that he has no working speedometer and a CEL on. I want to find out what the deal is there first, and then go on to the Transgo kit. Where did you purchase your Transgo kit? I've had a bit of difficulty locating one for a TF904.

Cameron
Thanks!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 09-25-2009, 11:19 PM   #11
StormlessWolf
1994 YJ Wrangler 

"I see folks on here who have had no exposure to even the simplest tasks and ask what most wrench spinners would call a "stupid question" or worse they won't ask because they don't want to appear inept. The truth is that these folks are probably plenty smart in their own field of expertise, but want to learn about their Jeep. Hopefully, this will help some questions for the "new" guys & gals."

hahha...thats me! I should really start doing my own oil change (now I have a house and garage it should be easier) but, I do it mostly to help my mechanic out.

"Where did you purchase your Transgo kit? I've had a bit of difficulty locating one for a TF904."

It's funny you ask this as I am having trouble as well! Did you try Summit Racing? Also, I found Transgo's website, but I didn't see anything mentioned about a TF904. Also, I am sure my is a TF904 but how would I Know for sure?
"All that we are is the result of what we have thought. If a man speaks or acts with an evil thought, pain follows him. If a man speaks or acts with a pure thought, happiness follows him, like a shadow that never leaves him."
- Buddha
Unread 09-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #12
StormlessWolf
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Here ya go Max, I think I found the kit: Transgo Performance TF-1 - TransGo Performance Shift Kits - Application - SummitRacing.com
- Buddha
Unread 09-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias94yj View Post
thanks for sharing the info on the higher capacity oil filter. I will be getting one of those next time I change the oil
Folks who are considering using a larger capacity filter need to make sure that the new filter uses the same thread size & pitch, and the sealing ring has the same diameter.

The '91 & newer 6 cylinder engines use a 3/4" X 16 thread pitch, and IIRC the older 4.2L used a 20MM x 1.5 thread pitch.

Anyone who can offer any correction or additional input please chime in!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 09-26-2009, 09:26 AM   #14
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hi Max,

Very cute kid, she made me smile through the whole thread, thanks.

Anyway I want to question the use of Marvel Mystery Oil in your oil when changing the oil. Unless you add it before the oil change and run the motor for a while. It seems to me that the Marvel Mystery Oil just thins the fresh oil??
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Hi Max,

Very cute kid, she made me smile through the whole thread, thanks.
Thanks! She sure is a joy to have around!

Anyway I want to question the use of Marvel Mystery Oil in your oil when changing the oil. Unless you add it before the oil change and run the motor for a while. It seems to me that the Marvel Mystery Oil just thins the fresh oil??
I use it in the fresh oil of every oil change. It seems to have quieted down my lifter tick considerably over the course of the last year. I use a 1/2 quart to a quart (depending on how much extra I need to top up the oil from using the higher capacity filter) and I leave it in for the duration of the oil's service life. I'm pleased with the results so far, so I guess that's all the proof I need.
Max

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.