Basic Maintenance - 4.0L serpentine belt tension adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic Maintenance - 4.0L serpentine belt tension adjustment

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Basic Maintenance - 4.0L serpentine belt tension adjustment

Today we were getting a lot of Jeep work done, and one of the things on the list was adjusting the tension of the serpentine belt on my red '91 4.0L YJ.

The belt actually needs to be replaced, but until I get the new one I wanted to get the belt squeal under control.

Here is where I started, loosening the two 13MM bolts located at the rear of the power steering pump. I access these from the top, using a long 13MM boxed end wrench.
It is only necessary to loosen them about 1/2 to 1 turn.

Next loosen the 13MM pivot bolt located at the top of the power steering pump, just above the pulley.

Then loosen the nut located underneath the pulley that locks down the belt tension adjuster bolt. I used a 13MM shallow socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet.

Now you can loosen or tighten the belt tension using the belt tension adjuster bolt. Tightening the bolt will tighten the belt, loosening the bolt will loosen the belt. I used a 13MM shallow socket on a 1/4" drive ratchet for this as well.

The belt needs to be fairly snug to avoid squealing. It's really difficult to describe the tension requirement exactly, but tight is pretty descriptive. After tightening the belt to the desired tension, be sure to tighten all 4 of the mounting points.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.

Last edited by Mean Max; 01-01-2010 at 09:39 PM..
Mean Max is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
DirtyJeepBoy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great write up as usual Max. I see me standing on the porch. Great picture of all our Jeeps.
[COLOR="darkgreen"]My Build:[/COLOR]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/dirty-jeep-boy-tj-build-w-pics-1054939/"]Dirty Jeep Boy -TJ Build w/ Pics[/URL]
BDS/BTF/MCE[/CENTER][/B]
DirtyJeepBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2009, 10:08 PM   #3
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Max, thanks - as usual its a great write-up. And yes, you beat me to the project so this will be helpful!

KCCO no matter what life throws your way!
jaycal3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

One thing I found helpful with the 4.0L is to remove the stock air box (if so equipped). This gives you a little more room to get after that tensioner adjustment bolt.
Keep up the good work Max!
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 04:57 AM   #5
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Good write-up and pics Max. Thanks!
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
coachholland
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quick question. Is there anything special about that nut that goes on the tension adjuster bolt or can I just pick one up at the hardware store? Mine is gone and I'm tired of using belt dressing.
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachholland View Post
Quick question. Is there anything special about that nut that goes on the tension adjuster bolt or can I just pick one up at the hardware store? Mine is gone and I'm tired of using belt dressing.
Not special at all.

It's a 8MM thread X 1.50 pitch (I think) "flange nut" because there is a washer sized flange built in. But a regular nut & flat washer can be used.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 12-28-2009, 12:49 PM   #8
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post

Max
Max, I dislike you, and here's why: You mentioned today, December 27th... yadda yadda yadda. In the photo everyone has their bikini tops on or no top! While I'm up here in PA spending $25 in kerosene to keep my garage warm while I did some work to my YJ. And every 3rd day or so I'm at the carwash washing the underbelly of my Jeep to get the dreaded road salt off.

You suck.

Sincerely,
Axl Jack

You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post
Max, I dislike you, and here's why: You mentioned today, December 27th... yadda yadda yadda. In the photo everyone has their bikini tops on or no top! While I'm up here in PA spending $25 in kerosene to keep my garage warm while I did some work to my YJ. And every 3rd day or so I'm at the carwash washing the underbelly of my Jeep to get the dreaded road salt off.

You suck.

Sincerely,
Axl Jack

What the hell?

You don't have to go & sugar-coat it! Tell me how ya really feel!

I know, I run with no doors & the bikini top pretty much year 'round!

I had been running with no top on my YJ from around February until I got the mesh VDP bikini top in June. It's been on there since then.

Here's when I got it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...p-call-796196/

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the write up Max! It seems like the little things can turn out to be the most difficult.

Even my Haynes manual was vague on the adjustment process for the Fuel Injected models, I probably would have rounded off the 13mm bolts thinking they were standard.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Jack View Post

You suck.

Sincerely,
Axl Jack

Living is Florida really sucks. The damn sun never goes away.

Anyway Max I have a question. To adjust the belt on my HD I have a tension tool and I am suppose to put 10 lbs of pressure to the belt and adjust until I have, (If I remember right.) 1/2 to 3/4 inch of play on the belt.

Does the YJ have any specs as to what to adjust the belt to? I hate to adjust it too tight because I do not want to wreck bearing on alternators, pumps, and etc. Or stretch the belt due to ever tension. ???
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Living is Florida really sucks. The damn sun never goes away.

Anyway Max I have a question. To adjust the belt on my HD I have a tension tool and I am suppose to put 10 lbs of pressure to the belt and adjust until I have, (If I remember right.) 1/2 to 3/4 inch of play on the belt.

Does the YJ have any specs as to what to adjust the belt to? I hate to adjust it too tight because I do not want to wreck bearing on alternators, pumps, and etc. Or stretch the belt due to ever tension. ???
Spec is 180-200 lbs. from what I have heard.

As soon as I get in the vicinity of my FSM I'll double check & make sure the correct spec is in this thread!

Here's a link to a belt deflection gauge, available through NAPA and other retailers.

HMC Int'l.; KRIKIT TENSION TESTERS

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 01-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #13
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Huh, How does this thing work? I50 lbs is allot of pressure to hold. I am sure that I am not understanding how this tool works.

Thanks Max.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:55 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Huh, How does this thing work? I50 lbs is allot of pressure to hold. I am sure that I am not understanding how this tool works.

Thanks Max.
The tool fits on either side of the belt. It measures the force that is required to deflect (bend) the belt. Once the tool is on the belt, you tighten the belt until the scale reads the desired deflection specification. No holding required.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 07-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #15
91NDJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome post.

I spent hours trying to find the right bolts to adjust this damn thing. I knew it was the power steering bracketry that did it and got all of the bolts loose except the actual tensioner one underneath. Didnt even see it.

Thanks for clear pics and a great how-to.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.