Basic diff lube maintenance - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic diff lube maintenance

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 03-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #46
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Spider gear pitting is fairly common. ALL Dana 35's are about to do something bad, in most cases.

But it's not really an indicator of imminent destruction.

Max

Sent from my HTC Incredible Droid

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:38 PM   #47
Nibbley15
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Spider gear pitting is fairly common. ALL Dana 35's are about to do something bad, in most cases.

But it's not really an indicator of imminent destruction.

Max

Thanks! Hopefully it still has some life in it. Not in the mood to change out the spiders right now.
Nibbley15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2011, 09:44 PM   #48
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Don't bother IMO. When it does blow just go with an 8.8 axle.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Unread 03-19-2011, 08:46 AM   #49
95yjkevin
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up. I have never done more than oil changes and disks brakes. For some reason I thought servicing the axels would be much more difficult. One more thing to put on the to do list......think I am going to need a couple days off before the weather gets nice to get the Jeep ready for summer!
95yjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2011, 02:13 AM   #50
wisteriaaa
1995 YJ Wrangler 

question, do i need to clean anything when i pull the cover off? I noticed max's cover was sparkling clean while showing off the new gaskets. If yes, just a clean rag, or is there something more?
wisteriaaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 11:54 AM   #51
klrstew
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up for a novice like myself!

I have the dana 30/35 as well, but BOTH with ARB lockers. Do I need a special diff oil? I read on the TJ forum people putting full synthetic.

What do you guys recommend for my set up?

What is the purpose of the plug/hole if you got to pull the entire diff plate off. Just for topping off if some gets burned/leaked out?
klrstew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #52
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrstew View Post
Great write up for a novice like myself!

I have the dana 30/35 as well, but BOTH with ARB lockers. Do I need a special diff oil? I read on the TJ forum people putting full synthetic.

What do you guys recommend for my set up?

What is the purpose of the plug/hole if you got to pull the entire diff plate off. Just for topping off if some gets burned/leaked out?
as expensive as arbs are, i would not run anything other than synthetic gear oil.

the hole is there to fill the diff with fluid, not to drain. you drain it by removing the cover.
Unread 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #53
BearinNM
1991 YJ Wrangler 

This seems like a reasonable place to ask, as this thread seems to be the closest match for my question which I could not find an answer.

I have the factory LSD in my stock 35. On my last gear oil change, I purchased a bottle of the factory LSD additive from our local Chrysler dealership, and had the oil change place use it. From the several oil change places I have used for diff's, the question about the LSD additive ranges from "we have this flavor" to "none is needed". They did honor my request to add it, but I could tell that they probably would have given me the none needed reply had I asked.

So, a couple of questions. First, I would assume the/a additive is needed? Second, as our Chrysler dealership has bit the economic dust, is there something that I can find at a local Autozone/Napa/O'Reilly's that will work?
We do still have a Ford dealership, perhaps the 8.8 additive will suffice?

I trust you guys more than I do the parts guy behind the computer, and certainly more than the local oil change places.

Thanks,

Craig
BearinNM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #54
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Does the gasket come with torque specs? I just bought one of the reusable ones, after two failed attempts at using the crappy paper gasket, I shouldn't have been so cheap I do not recommend those paper gaskets, they never worked for me and have given me tons of aggravation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #55
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the informative write-up, including the photos; I'm new to Jeeps and have a lot to learn. I just got a new-to-me 91 YJ a month ago for $2000; it has very little rust and only 54k miles on the original parts, so I want to go through it and replace/update the original parts as needed.
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #56
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando
Does the gasket come with torque specs? I just bought one of the reusable ones, after two failed attempts at using the crappy paper gasket, I shouldn't have been so cheap I do not recommend those paper gaskets, they never worked for me and have given me tons of aggravation
Yes! There is also a recommended sequence for the bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM   #57
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearinNM
This seems like a reasonable place to ask, as this thread seems to be the closest match for my question which I could not find an answer.

I have the factory LSD in my stock 35. On my last gear oil change, I purchased a bottle of the factory LSD additive from our local Chrysler dealership, and had the oil change place use it. From the several oil change places I have used for diff's, the question about the LSD additive ranges from "we have this flavor" to "none is needed". They did honor my request to add it, but I could tell that they probably would have given me the none needed reply had I asked.

So, a couple of questions. First, I would assume the/a additive is needed? Second, as our Chrysler dealership has bit the economic dust, is there something that I can find at a local Autozone/Napa/O'Reilly's that will work?
We do still have a Ford dealership, perhaps the 8.8 additive will suffice?

I trust you guys more than I do the parts guy behind the computer, and certainly more than the local oil change places.

Thanks,

Craig
The additive is technically called a "friction modifier" to modify the gear oil's properties for the LSD plates. Using a conventional gear lube (non-synthetic) would require using the additive. Using a full synthetic gear oil will not require the additive, being as the synthetic oils already possess the required properties.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 06-21-2011, 10:49 PM   #58
Larry93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Max,

I have some thought on your 8.8 level point. The stock fill hole location and a YJ with a SYE already raises its level higher than the explorer it was in. If you add to much oil, the diff gears end up churning and overheat the oil. The pinion does not require a bath of oil, but splash lube.
Larry93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #59
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideYJeep View Post
Yes! There is also a recommended sequence for the bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #60
mazyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
They do make one for the 8.8 Ford axle and it's the same price, $16.99 at Q-tec.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52416_105.htm

It doesn't matter about the CV shaft with regards to the gasket, but I have heard that some aftermarket companies make good armor style diff covers to replace the paper thin 8.8 OE covers, and maybe you could contact them & see about the fill plug height. Putting it a bit higher on the cover could help you get better pinion lube.

Here is my favorite brand. I don't have them yet, but I intend to!

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/index.php

Max
I just bought one for the 8.8 im putting in and I must say the thing is super beefy and the fill hole appears to be raised

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.