Basic diff lube maintenance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Basic diff lube maintenance

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Yukon Hardcore Locking hubs Dana 44!! CCOR 706-207-4140Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955

Unread 03-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #1
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Basic diff lube maintenance

Okay, so most of us think that basic maintenance is no big deal. But, not everybody has a lot of experience, and may be intimidated by even the simplest of tasks. So, I changed my Dana 30 front axle lube today & took a few pics along the way.

First, check to make sure that you can remove the fill plug. After you've removed the cover & drained the lube, it's a bad time to find out that you can't get the fill plug out!

Next, remove all the diff cover bolts, with the exception of the one at the very top. Loosen the top one, but leave it threaded in the axle housing to deflect the fluid into the drain pan.

Inspect the inside of the diff housing & cover for metal shavings, and also inspect the gear teeth for chips & pitting.

Clean the cover & housing gasket surfaces. I used a Lube Locker brand reusable gasket.

Reinstall the cover & tighten all the bolts. Then refill the diff housing with lube until it is filled to the bottom of the drain plug opening. Test drive & check for leaks.

NOTE!

Lockers & limited slip equipped differentials may require special lubricant. Check with the manufacturer of the locker or LSD unit for additive requirements.

Per Ford, the 8.8 requires the use of 75-140 synthetic lube and if it has a limited slip differential it also requires the addition of limited slip additive.

The 8.8 with a typical pinion angle for SYE takes about 4 quarts of fluid, well OVER the stock fill hole level, in order to keep the pinion lubricated when rotated up for the SYE and/or lift. An aftermarket cover with high fill hole is pretty much a requirement unless you left the ABS sensor hole open for filling purposes. You can use tall jackstands to lift it, or you can park on one heck of a slant!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.

Last edited by Mean Max; 09-01-2009 at 04:52 PM..
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Ridin' Around
1999 WJ 

Nice write up thanks!
Ridin' Around is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nicely done. The clear & concise pics along with the PP data in a nice touch.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Brads_nky_yj

Great write up max! Sometimes, even the simplest tasks can be scary for people, and after they do it they go on to bigger and more challenging taks (<------Like me, I once knew nothing of 4wds, used to be a tuner boy, and now Im addicted to Jeeps )
Unread 03-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys!

I always see "basic question" threads from the "new guys" who have never owned a vehicle like a Jeep that captures your heart & soul, and begs you to get involved with it the way we do. Maybe they're high school kids with their first vehicle, maybe they're "office guys" looking for a vehicle to transport them to an exciting place, instead of just to work & back like those appliance-like econoboxes do. Either way, they need & want a way to do things they've possibly never done before.

With that in mind I bought a nice little camera, opened a photobucket account, and plan on documenting as many things as I can as I go along.

Tomorrow, I'll be replacing a clutch master cylinder on a '89 2.5L/AX-5 equipped YJ, and I hope to be able to take some mystery out of that very common, simple repair.

Max

Quote:
Quote:
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.

Last edited by Mean Max; 02-12-2010 at 08:32 PM..
Unread 04-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Where do you get the reusable gaskets? My local parts stores know nothing about them.
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
Where do you get the reusable gaskets? My local parts stores know nothing about them.
At www.quadratec.com for $16.99 each

Dana 30
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52416_100.htm

Dana 35
http://www.quadratec.com/products/52416_103.htm

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 04-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
shaggyjim
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How is that lube locker Max? Is it living up to the hype and worth the money?

"That's more fun than watching a hippie get mauled by a bear!"

"I love cats, I just can't eat a whole one!"
shaggyjim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
miwoodar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, Max. I just changed my tranny fluid this weekend for the first time and was starting to look for threads on diff fluid when I found this one. It fits the bill perfectly. Short and sweet with quality pics!

BTW - out of curiosity, I called a couple local lube shops but couldn't find one that would put 10w30 in my AX5.
miwoodar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #10
shrewd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Wonderful. Helpful posts like this save people money and get them in tune with their jeeps.
Unread 04-06-2009, 04:05 AM   #11
Alvy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Great write up Max. Do you know if there is one for the 8.8 with a CV drive shaft installed? Mine like most is at a pretty severe angle and I filled it to the bottom of the fill hole. I want to make sure that the pinion bearings are getting enough oil because it seems that after a while of driving the pinion portion of the rear axle is getting very hot. It looks like I'm submerging half of the pinion bearings at least in relation to the fill hole but I just want to make sure I don't smoke my new 8.8. Any suggestions?
1993 YJ, AX15, 4.0L, 8.8 LSD w/3.73's, Lock-rite locker in front, S.O.A. JB4x4 high steer bracket, BrandonYJ 1" Booms, Rugged Ridge SS S.Y.E. XJ drive shaft, 35x12.50 BFG KM2's, Chevy Cavy seats, woods camo paint, 200,000 miles and still goin strong!
1993 Cherokee Country AW4,4.0L, 3.55's, 4" blocks in back, 4" TJ springs front, 31x10.50 BFG A/T, Ford Red paint, recently finished with 4wd conversion
Alvy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2009, 08:39 AM   #12
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyjim View Post
How is that lube locker Max? Is it living up to the hype and worth the money?
I've re-used them several times on both of our YJ's, and I have a set waiting to go on the WJ soon too.

I love them, no RTV mess to clean up, no getting goo on your fingers putting it back together, no waiting for RTV to dry before refilling the diff housing (IMO, waiting is a REALLY good way to forget to refill & then smoke your diff!), and no mess the next time when you pull it apart.

They're required equipment in my book, I'm sold.

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 04-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvy View Post
Great write up Max. Do you know if there is one for the 8.8 with a CV drive shaft installed? Mine like most is at a pretty severe angle and I filled it to the bottom of the fill hole. I want to make sure that the pinion bearings are getting enough oil because it seems that after a while of driving the pinion portion of the rear axle is getting very hot. It looks like I'm submerging half of the pinion bearings at least in relation to the fill hole but I just want to make sure I don't smoke my new 8.8. Any suggestions?
They do make one for the 8.8 Ford axle and it's the same price, $16.99 at Q-tec.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52416_105.htm

It doesn't matter about the CV shaft with regards to the gasket, but I have heard that some aftermarket companies make good armor style diff covers to replace the paper thin 8.8 OE covers, and maybe you could contact them & see about the fill plug height. Putting it a bit higher on the cover could help you get better pinion lube.

Here is my favorite brand. I don't have them yet, but I intend to!

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/index.php

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Unread 05-16-2009, 04:21 PM   #14
yjman92
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Max, so there is no need for gasket sealer when this reusable gasket is used?
yjman92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjman92 View Post
Max, so there is no need for gasket sealer when this reusable gasket is used?
No. That's the whole purpose behind it's design. It has an RTV (or similar) product embedded into the gasket itself, and it remains "rubbery" to allow for a long service life. The axle in this write-up had RTV gooped in it, and this was the first time I had used a LubeLocker gasket on this particular cover. I have them on all our (we have 3 Jeeps) other diff housings, and this Dana 30 was the last one to get one. The others have been apart & back together many times with no leaks or signs of wear on the re-usable gaskets.

See the red lines? That feels the same as RTV sealer.

I'm sold on them, I would never choose anything else as long as these are available!

Max

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.