barely goes over 55mph. gearing or fuel issue? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > barely goes over 55mph. gearing or fuel issue?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
dauster500
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is your kick down cable hooked up to the trans???

Gotmudcnj4x4.org
dauster500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 03:50 PM   #17
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

no sye. since its an 87 it came with an NP207. I dont wanna spend the money on one till I upgrade to an NP231. The kickdown is set and working properly. I have the shift point set at 1800rpms. That price does however also include the rear disk installation with the new rear.
Lrasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Well, since gears are going to cure your woes, providing the workmanship is good I'd still be likely to go that route. Although I have to confess I actually enjoy doing the labor myself, especially when I put the labor bucks back into the build. Good luck.
Don
Unread 02-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #19
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have built this entire jeep from a scrap heap myself. every nut and bolt. My issue now it that it no longer fits in my garage and it's 20 deg outside plus I dont own a welder. so with those factors this will be the first thing I farm out to someone else. I'm currently have a new house built and installing a 9ftx8ft garage door to better fit my toys but it wont be ready till August. Dont wanna wait that long....
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #20
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Congrats on the new house, sounds like it should be ready in time for building that stroker you always wanted. I hear you on the working outside part, a proper shop is still my wish list, however, it is moving up the priority list. As it is now I've got a pretty good tool crib and enough space to bring in components but then they have to go back outside to be re-installed. I'm just starting to source out an 8.8 myself, but I think for the most part I've burned up this winters Jeep budget, both in time and money. I swapped my 3.07 gears out for 4.11's about a year and a half ago and that was the single best thing I've done to it to date, although the ome 36r's are earning their place in my heart.
Good luck
Don
Unread 02-18-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I hear you. I have a 2 1/2 car detached garage now and it kills me that is doesnt fit. What kind of a difference did you see when swapped out your 307's?
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #22
140mower
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure how it'll compare, with yours being automatic and mine being a 5 spd, but being in the mountains like we are here, just lifting off at stop signs etc was a lot more clutch, gas, brake, work than I could tolerate. Now it just lifts off at idle rather than the "slipping" the clutch of before, and is much nicer while easing through some rougher areas, not to mention far less shifting on the highway. I never did figure the reason for 3.07 gears, Jeeps aren't that aerodynamic, nor powerful enough in stock form to push top gear through the power range to reach the top end, and if you could, I think you'd be hitting close to 120mph. I'm happy topping out at 80 mph and being at top rpms when I get there, after all, our roads here have a max of 60mph in select areas only with 50 mph or less being the norm, it's way less shifting on the hills now as well. I'm planning on going to 33's in the spring if funds allow and I think I'm going to miss the gearing when I jump those 4" of tire size, but at least I'll have the correct carriers now if I decide to drop to 4.56's.
I bought a 4 cyl parts jeep with family bar and half doors after my first ticket for having no doors, which is where the gearing came from. I parted out what I didn't want and was about $200.00 ahead when I sent the carcass to a friends yard to live, he has the space and is kind of boarding them, as long as we've contributed to the parts pool it's ok to pick what you need, with in reason of course, kind of a private wrecking yard so to speak.
How's your lift treating you? We were both doing them at roughly the same time I believe and so far I am very happy with how mine has come out aside from the transfer case drop, that bothers me, so I'm going to try a motor mount lift and see if I can keep the vibrations out of it. My Jeep funds have dried up for the time being, so I'm down to mounts and bumpers and things I can make myself when time allows, which I'm also running low on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.