ball joint re&re - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ball joint re&re

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #1
Scorch1969
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ball joint re&re

replaced tie rods, drag link, leaf springs, shocks, swaybar links, body mount bushings, steering stabalizer, engine mounts and tranny mount. Bad noise coming from front pass. side over washboard type bumps. So i recheck ball joints, and have movement on pass. side. Have new ball joints, go to book for info and book says to take to dealer to do ball joints. At $100 an hour (here in b.c.) i am thinking i might be better off doing it my self. Have the right front end kit with all pullers and presses for removal of ball joints, tie rods. I have never (YET) disassembled the front axle on my jeep, and was wondering how much problems most guys had when trying this for the first time? Any help you could offer would be great, thanks.

Scorch1969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Get a good ball joint press tool. You dont need to take front hub bearing from the axle shaft. Just undo the 3 bolts holding the hub bearing one. 13 MM and 12 point VERY tight. The get the hub and shaft out of the way. Some times It like to stick in the knuckle. May have to screw the bolts back in almost all the way and tap on them with hammer. I like to use a socket on the head to protect them. Spray penetrating oil on to help.
Once the bearings are out. Remove knuckle. 2 castle nuts and pop it hard with hammer and it will fall off. Press the ball joints out and then new ones back in. reverse the instruction for install

HARDEST part is getting that bearing hub out..
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #3
ruggedlife
1994 YJ Wrangler 

jack up vehicle place on jackstands with ample room to get the ball joint press under the knuckle as well as a impact gun. remove tire. remove brake caliper. remove rotor. remote tie rod end. remove cotter pin/retaining nut and large axle nut. remove the 3 bolts behind the knuckle holding on the wheel hub. if you've never had the hubs off before the 12 point bolts may be rather rusty and the hub itself may not want to come off so you'll have to do some hammering and whatnot. if you hammer on it too hard you run the risk of destroying the bearings on the inside so you might end up having to remplace the hubs as well. once you've got the hub off pull the shaft out and stuff a rag in the end of the axle tube just to keep extra crap from going in there. then you'll need to remove the cotter pins and nuts from the ball joints. thread the nut back on loose to keep it from dropping on your toes. take out the old mini sledge and start striking the knuckle at the ball joint to break the taper free. once the upper and lower are free remove the nuts and set the knuckle aside. next you'll need to get your ball joint press and figure out the best combination to press them out of the axle, it might take some time and a few tries to get it just right to press them out strait. once you do take a small piece of emory cloth to clean the inside where the ball joints are pressed in. then press the new ball joints in. then reverse order everything and put it back together.
ruggedlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Jeepsr4me

You dont need to take that big nut off. Leave it, as the shaft and the hub bearing come out as a unit.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #5
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Unless you are replacing the unit hubs leave it attached. This a couple hour job with some PB blaster a BFH and a good ball joint press. There are several good threads and also youtube videos. It can take several hours if you are not familiar with the process. But it is DIY friendly with a little homework first.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can leave the tie rod end on the steering knuckle too.
It's not a real tough job.!
chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
Scorch1969
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am gonna do it, Thanks and i will let you know how it goes. Thanks again , Colin
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch1969 View Post
I am gonna do it, Thanks and i will let you know how it goes. Thanks again , Colin
TJ, but same: http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/ball...alljoint-1.htm

The more you read up first, the better. I used this thread for reference when I did mine, had never done ball joints before at that point and it was straight forward.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
ezdan
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just so happens I watched this video this morning, it's for a Cherokee but you'll get the idea.

ezdan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
Scorch1969
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ball joints done, seems i have worn axle seals! out came the front end , have ring and pinion kit and seals plus spartan locker, should take care of leak and recondition the front end .(bearings and all). Same time out comes the np 231, have slip yoke eliminator and rebuild kit with seals and bearings. hope to have it all done within a couple weeks. My credit is coming to a end, have been pouring parts into my jeep. same time out with my old 2.5 l (over 300000 km on it) and clutch. my new 2.5 L really taking shape, spotless. Big job, when done way more power, better traction, less vibration with sye. rear end still to do, rebuild and locker my old jeep will be new.Really hoping it all comes together in the real world the way it did in my head. till next time, Scorch
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #11
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ball joints done, seems i have worn axle seals! out came the front end , have ring and pinion kit and seals plus spartan locker, should take care of leak and recondition the front end .(bearings and all). Same time out comes the np 231, have slip yoke eliminator and rebuild kit with seals and bearings. hope to have it all done within a couple weeks. My credit is coming to a end, have been pouring parts into my jeep. same time out with my old 2.5 l (over 300000 km on it) and clutch. my new 2.5 L really taking shape, spotless. Big job, when done way more power, better traction, less vibration with sye. rear end still to do, rebuild and locker my old jeep will be new.Really hoping it all comes together in the real world the way it did in my head. till next time, Scorch
Cool, sounds like you are really taking some pride and (funds) and doing this thing right. After all of that is done and a little tweaking to get the bugs out it should ride, drive and run like a dream. One thing about it, you will know what you have when you are done with a piece of mind when you drive it.
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
sptrmike

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

when i started to wonder if it was worth putting the money i was spending in the jeep, i went to the dealer and looked at sticker prices.
sptrmike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure the alignment is spot on and when you drive it you will be very happy. I did mine a couple months ago everything was original and it was the difference between night and day. Now it is a nice drive instead of a thrill ride.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #14
Muddyturtle

Replaced clutch in 95 wrangler 2.5 ... Worn clutch plate not excessive , on plate , flywheel , or fingers, but pedal engages high still yet, have nice pedal, just engages higher than I'd like... I work on cars but clutches aren't my specialty , and this is my own and first time I've done a wrangler clutch, I their an adjustment or should I just roll with it..... Any answers ???? Thx in advance
Muddyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:13 AM   #15
Scorch1969
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Unless you are replacing the unit hubs leave it attached. This a couple hour job with some PB blaster a BFH and a good ball joint press. There are several good threads and also youtube videos. It can take several hours if you are not familiar with the process. But it is DIY friendly with a little homework first.
dana 30 is in shop at the moment, ring and pinion rebuild kit and bearings and seals all to be replaced , spartan locker being installed. This , of course leads to thoughts of locking hub convertion for the better handleing on road driving. Not to sure how much the spartan locker will affect handleing yet, will know when this leg of rebuild is done and i get to DRIVE it. like your jeep jokerchief, similar lift tire ect. to mine, looks good !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.