Ball bearing on tranny drain plug - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ball bearing on tranny drain plug

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 10-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
jollyroger1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Ball bearing on tranny drain plug

I have had my yj for a little over a month now,decided to start changing the fluids before winter.The tranny fluid looked good,had the gearbox smell,but I found a bearing a little bigger than a pea on the drain plug.It shifts good and is quiet,what could this be ,is it getting ready to explode,lol.Just wondering if anyone else has run into this

jollyroger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

thats the detent ball for the shift mechanism, holds it in your selected gear , should have a spring also
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
jollyroger1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks,I hope thats all there was floating around in there
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

that's not the drain plug.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Assuming you indeed pull the drain plug, which is NOT on the 1" thick plate between the front and back halves of the trans. Then yup, detent ball. Unless someone rebuilding it in the past dropped one (doubtful), you may likely see a problem at some time. The detent system is mainly there to make sure two things don't happen at once, like 1st and reverse. I rebuilt my AX-15 a couple years ago, seem to remember there are maybe six of then in there.
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
panaceabeachbum
Web Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

hopefully it wasnt loose until you pulled the plug. It and its spring will be held captive when reinstalled and are neccesary to help keep the plate that moves the shift forks in the proper place
panaceabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #7
jollyroger1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Im pretty sure that was the drain plug,it was on the passenger side almost even with the front of the skid plate and it is magnetic,for good reason I see,guess I will keep my eye out for a used tranny just in case this one goes.Thanks for the replies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.