Bad YJ Vibrations - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad YJ Vibrations

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #16
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

with the transfercase drop the transfer case and pinion should be parrallel, check that, you may need to shim the axle. as you didn't have a vibration before the lift I'm allmost certain thats your problem.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #17
jeeprookie15
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Im getting my wheels aligned some time in the morning tomorrow, so ill let yall know if thats the problem or not. Im pretty positive my shackle bolts are tight. If the problem continues i will check on that driveshaft. Ill keep yall posted though on the situation
jeeprookie15 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
Raindem
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
with the transfercase drop the transfer case and pinion should be parrallel, check that, you may need to shim the axle. as you didn't have a vibration before the lift I'm allmost certain thats your problem.
I agree, it's a geometry issue. I had a similar issue after installing my 2-1/2 lift. At first I installed the TC drop that came with my kit but not the axle wedges. Test drove it and discovered that it vibrated, rather knocked, in 4th gear. After I installed the wedges all the noise/vibration disappeared.
Unread 01-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #19
jeeprookie15
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Raindem, what are these wedges you speak of?
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
meSiLlY
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeprookie15 View Post
Raindem, what are these wedges you speak of?
These are wedges. You'd need to check your angles to determine what size you need.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...ct&emlprox=out
meSiLlY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #21
jeeprookie15
1987 YJ Wrangler 

oh, my leaf springs with the kit came with those already on them. And im sure that i got the little pins through the holes on those things
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:00 PM   #22
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Guys not all jeeps are the same, some will need a 6 degree shim and others 4 or 8 even 10 degrees. I am not sure what came on your lift kit but that doesn't mean that it is the right shim for your jeep. When I installed mine I went through several before I finally bought the 10.00 angle finder and listened to what was being said, slowed down took some measurements and got the right shims along with a SYE and CV/DS. No more vibes for me. Or if you can weld you can cut off your perch mounts and set your pinion angle then re-weld them back in the right position. This is by far the best fix.

If you did not have the vibes before the lift install and are on the same tires then I am sure it is not the tires (more than likely). Also do a search for removing trac bars / sway bars.. Take both of them off both ends and throw them in the trash can or use them for scrap metal. If your jeep is setup correctly you will not know the difference with them gone.. I know that this is a heated subject and may cause some controversial debate but I think 80 to 90 percent of people on this forum that have been jeepin for years will agree to get rid of them. My wife drives my jeep almost daily on interstate and highways everywhere and has no issues with them gone. Best mod I ever did to get my jeep to flex and perform like it is suppose to..

Good luck and get an angle finder!!
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #23
jeeprookie15
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got my tires aligned. It still vibrates loud and bad but only when i start to let off the gas when im in 4th or 5th gear. And all of a sudden this knocking noise comes from my brakes when im hitting the brakes at low speeds, whats up with that??

Tags
vibration , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.