Bad vibration and sounds while in gear - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad vibration and sounds while in gear

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 05-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
ekrause72

Ya I'm really not sure exactly what a sye does I know that I have a t case drop with my skid plate spacers.... I think I just broke a bearing

ekrause72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2013, 12:39 AM   #17
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sye gives you better drive line angles so you don't eat up u-joints and gets rid of unwanted vibrations. I think most people recommend one if your running a lift bigger than 2.5 inch.
JeepingJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #18
jschilling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

do you think that is what the problem might be then? That we need an SYE
jschilling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #19
ekrause72

I do feel that the sye would have prevented my problem but now I know I broke a bearing some where I can hear and feel it...my mech friend said drive it till it breaks
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:55 PM   #20
jkilmer83
1983 CJ7 

If you do that it will cost you way more $$$$$$ then fixing it
mc2100 carb

You just can't fix stupid!!!
jkilmer83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #21
JeepingJustin
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would find out what's broke instead of letting it go. Cause it will cost you more in the long run.
JeepingJustin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:07 AM   #22
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A SYE does not improve drive line angles. What it does do is replace your slip yoke with a fixed one on a shorter more sturdy output shaft and enables you to run a dual CV driveshaft which will eliminate drive line problems as far as angles from lifts. Do some research on them; theres several how to's in the sticky section on the YJ forum. Also most if not all SYE kits remove some of the inner bearings from the output shaft; so if indeed you have a bad bearing you could be killing two birds with one stone. Also please try to refrain from using text talk on here, it helps older people like me to understand what your talking about when you speak english. If you have further issues drop me a PM and ill try to help yall out as much as possible.
LowBudget87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #23
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Also you might wont to check your pinion bearing for excess play. Since you are still running a slip yoke drive shaft with a lift, it could of put excess wear on a already worn part.
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #24
ekrause72

So what would be the easiest way to check the pinion bearing ?
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #25
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty basic just drop your drive shaft grab a hold of the dang thing an see if you can wiggle it side to side or up an down. Also you can drop your drive shaft, jack up your rearend, and put it on jack stands and have a friend spin the tires while your listening for grinding. Im going to guess most of your vibration problems are from not having a SYE an CV drive shaft. I had some pretty bad vibration as well with my lift and tires ( 4inch lift, on 32s ). Cant say for sure if my pinion bearing was part of that problem cause I serviced the entire rearend when I did mine. IF you do plan on installing your SYE yourself I can not stress enough how much a good QUALITY pair of snap ring pliers are important.
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #26
ekrause72

I did todo the lift on this jeep but it seemed to be done very well....I have had almost no drive line vibrations until recently when I broke something. The noises have now started to come and go and are now happening when it's not in gear so I fear it may be a little to late. But next week I'm going to fix it starting on Monday so after I pull it apart I will take pics and prob ask for more advice . Thank you for all of your help bc I'm no mechanic
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:45 PM   #27
ekrause72

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrause72
I did todo the lift on this jeep but it seemed to be done very well....I have had almost no drive line vibrations until recently when I broke something. The noises have now started to come and go and are now happening when it's not in gear so I fear it may be a little to late. But next week I'm going to fix it starting on Monday so after I pull it apart I will take pics and prob ask for more advice . Thank you for all of your help bc I'm no mechanic
Edit : I didn't do the lift.
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #28
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

quick question does it stop grinding if you go around say a right or left turn if so which turn? cause the grinding could be a bad wheel bearing as well. If you hear the grinding and you make a right turn and it stops then it would be your driver side wheel bearing. If you make a left turn and it stops it going to be passenger side.
Unread 05-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #29
jschilling
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Could that happen if I haven't gotten them aligned yet? Cause I got new tires after at the same time as I got my lift and that's when it started.
jschilling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #30
LowBudget87YJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

no alignment wouldnt have anything to do with it. but the added stress of larger tires on an already worn part would

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.