Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bad Transfercase Vibration at Highway speeds

9K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  darkpony 
#1 ·
hey guys, first post here, great site! I've been using the search function and didn't really see anything specific to me. My issue is this:
I have a 91 4.0, auto, 4wd, and it drives just fine around town. However, in high gear on the highway, it has a pulsing vibration that is coming through the transfercase shifter, and is pretty loud. (I can put my hand on the shifter, and feel it rattling the heck out of it.) It is not continuous. It shifts fine into 4wd, but didn't run it at 4H on the highway to see if that made a difference. Also, it gets better when I let off the gas and let it coast to lower speeds (maybe a downshift helps?) The suspension is stock I believe, and I don't feel anything though the wheel or the pedal.
Thanks for any help here, its making my otherwise great time annoying.:tea:

Mike

#5 ·
No idea if the fluid ran low in the past. I just picked up the jeep for a decent deal and I'm sorting out the kinks. I'll be checking the fluid and replacing it this week. If the u joints look good, and the fluid looks good, it may be going in for a rebuild...?

#6 ·
I agree with Louie as far as mounts go. They will be noticeable more at higher output. Might even be drive shaft not being balanced,possibly due to a bad U-joint,but I kinda doubt thats your problem.Gotta crawl underneath and do some inspection. That's the only way to find out for sure! good luck!

#8 ·
im convinced its a problem with 2000 Xj's. I had another 2000 about a year ago that had the same vibration. I changed the u-joints,transfer case,rebulit the rear,changed driveshaft,changed all the mounts,harmonic balancer,and tires. Then i gave up and sold it. I bought my current 2000 XJ in august and guess what problem slowly showed up. Bingo...this pain in the *** vibration. If anyone has any ideas pleas let me know. Just had driveshaft and u-joints done so its not that. I dont know if its a common problem with 2000 XJ's but its pissing me off. It vibrates worse with speed on the highway. Its a rumbling from underneith the jeep.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.