Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Bad Syncro

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Nymisus 
#1 ·
Well I took my jeep in yesterday to try and see if they could fix my clutch problems....turns out its the syncro or something like that that isn't letting me get into first gear........and they don't do transmission work at this shop....so now its raining like crazy and I'm about to go pick it up and try and do some offroading, but I was wondering how much is the syncro?? they are talking about, and is this something I can do myself?? or is this something complicated? Thanks and wish me luck today, hopefully I can get into first and just leave it there

#2 ·
Greetings fellow Austin-ite.

Syncros are a more complicated repair because you have to drop and rebuild the transmission.

I've read a little about it and I don't think that it's for someone new to auto repair. So I guess you have to ask how much do you feel confortable with, how long can you have your heep out of service and what tools do you have.

#3 ·
Yeah after talking to my friends and a couple of guys at the shop I took my jeep I am leaning more to just replacing the whole tranny, if it isn't to much....I don't have alot of tools here at my house but I have access to more at my dads, so that isn't much of a problem, but I really don't want to have to rebuild my tranny, my friend did on his mustang and it wasn't an easy task......so now my question is what other trannys can I put in there in other than what I have in there currently

#4 ·
I just had my trany rebuilt after I had my lift put on and bigger tires. It was grinding into 2nd gear if I shifted fast but if I did it slower it would just slip in and it was the syncros. So after $1600 I have new syncros for 1st &2nd - 3rd & 4th. No problems.

#5 ·
wow, 1600 for a rebuilt tranny, is that with labor??? that is way high I think

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.