bad sputtering problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
08BlackJK
1989 YJ Wrangler 

bad sputtering problem

Have a 4.2L in my 89 YJ. When i bought it it ran fine. After about a week i replaced the valve cover gasket and did a engine degrease. It was then i noticed some rough idiling. I replaced the spark plugs with some AC Delco plugs that were pre-gapped to specifications. Now it's idiling rough and when i start it is sputters really bad and sometimes i have to pump the gas to get it started. Also when i cruising down the road it acts as if its not getting fuel and I'll hit the gas and it evens out. I've cleaned the carb and it looks as though its getting fuel but the problem seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-27-2014, 09:20 PM
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Double check the plug gap, change the fuel filter , check the timing , and vacuum lines

'89 YJ The Smurf
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 XJ Black Betty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-27-2014, 09:24 PM
rogerv
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BlackJK View Post
Have a 4.2L in my 89 YJ. When i bought it it ran fine. After about a week i replaced the valve cover gasket and did a engine degrease. It was then i noticed some rough idiling. I replaced the spark plugs with some AC Delco plugs that were pre-gapped to specifications. Now it's idiling rough and when i start it is sputters really bad and sometimes i have to pump the gas to get it started. Also when i cruising down the road it acts as if its not getting fuel and I'll hit the gas and it evens out. I've cleaned the carb and it looks as though its getting fuel but the problem seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions?
When you degreased your engine how did you spray it down ? Could you possibly have got things wet ! I would take apart all of your electrical connections clean them up and redo the connectors w/ plenty of dielectric grease. Water and dirt can't be where grease is ! You say you did the plugs, what about the cap and wires ? Is the inside of the dist cap clean and dry ?
one more question- are you running a all stock set up ?

If it's not broke- modify it, so it won't break

post #4 of 5 Old 07-29-2014, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
08BlackJK
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerv View Post
When you degreased your engine how did you spray it down ? Could you possibly have got things wet ! I would take apart all of your electrical connections clean them up and redo the connectors w/ plenty of dielectric grease. Water and dirt can't be where grease is ! You say you did the plugs, what about the cap and wires ? Is the inside of the dist cap clean and dry ?
one more question- are you running a all stock set up ?
Ok took off the distributor cap and it's all dry. I went to check the ignition pick up plug and it literally crumbled in my hands. So I got a new assembly and went to put it back in the exact way it came out and it had a really hard time cranking up and when it finally did crank up it stalled right out. I move it a little to see if the timing was off and it still had a hard time cranking so I moved it just a little more and now it won't even try to crank all you can hear is the starter going crazy. So obviously the timing is way off now I guess. So now I have a even bigger headache of trying to get that right, just not having any success with it.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Set it to tdc on the intake stroke and it is pretty easy. Make sure you are on the intake and not the exhaust. Youw ill put it in 180 out. Its happened too many times to people here.

Tags
rough idle , sputtering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.