Bad noises and vibrations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad noises and vibrations

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 04-02-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
ekrause72

Bad noises and vibrations

Hey hey, so I am new to the forum still and I own a 91 yj inline 6. I was driving it the other day in the rain and my foot slipped off the clutch and dropped it in to first really hard now my problems have started. First I want to say is that I really haven't had any hydraulic issues with the pedal being soft. But now my jeep is making metal grinding noises while coming out of first and shaking the entire jeep while in first, 2nd and 3rd. Any ideas? I'm thinking I need to replace the clutch and throw out bearing

ekrause72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:40 AM   #2
ekrause72

Jeep is still drive able but I need to get this fixed ASAP any ideas or tips for. A. finding the exact problem
B. what I should also replace if I'm going to drop the tranny ?
C. What sort of time frame am I looking at ?
ekrause72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 03:55 AM   #3
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

my first guess would be input bearing or pilot bearing.

if your positive you thrashed the trans or some component thereof, i wouldn't start making any decisions until i had the trans on the shop floor infront of me.
after getting the trans out and the pressure plate off then you can start looking for worn parts.

look at the pilot bushing, if it looks burnt or has scoring in it it may have been your culprit. in my opinion i never drop the trans and not change the clutch disk, t.o. bearing, and pilot. they are cheap enough and you know they will be fresh and hopefully not have to make you drop your trans again any time soon.
then the next thing i would do is grab the input shaft of the transmission. try to wiggle it around, if you get much movement at all you probably have a bad input bearing. this could cause some noise and possibly vibrations and rough shifting if it's bad enough.

one thing i just thought of...
you may be getting vibs from the driveline. when you dumped the clutch you may have tweeked a u-joint. i would also check them for wear and if any of them have some wiggle to them.

this is where i would start... as far as time frame goes...
i can have my trans out in about an hour and a half if i'm by meself. however i have had the trans in and out of my jeep about 5-6 times. i have a pretty good system and all the bolts for everything are brandy new. it takes me a little longer to get it back in without help.

i would plan on a week of having your rig down. it should take less time than that but if you have to order parts then you have a day or so that you can't do any work.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.