Bad noises - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad noises

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-27-2001, 09:03 PM   #1
joop

Bad noises

I drive a 4.2L 89YJ with a bad "tick,tick,tick" sound. Here's what's happening...When I first start the Jeep, and the engine is good and cold there is no "ticking".Halfway to normal operating temperature it starts to tick a little and gets progressively worse as it warms up. At normal temp. the ticking is loud and annoying.(I avoid the drive-thru)The noise never becomes constant.It ticks for a couple seconds then stops for a couple of seconds. When I first listened to it, with the hood up, I thought for sure it was a lifter. But I've noticed that the noise seems even louder when listening under the jeep.Could this still be a lifter? Can anyone tell me without actually hearing it?

joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2001, 10:34 PM   #2
wilhelm

joop,
It sounds like a collapsed lifter or maybe a clogged pushrod . When you first start the engine the lifter is filled with oil and the oil is cold and thicker . Once the engine is running the oil thins out and is pushed out of the lifter . If the pushrod is clogged the lifter won't get oil ; If the lifter is bad the spring is weak inside of it. How many miles ? Oil pressure ok ? Does the ticking get less at higher rpm's ? You could try 20-50 oil or somthing thick like STP or similar oil treatment and see if the noise goes away . good luck wilhelm nj
wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads
  • Noises!?! - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (7 replies)
  • noises - YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (10 replies)
  • Odd Noises - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (1 replies)
  • ****ing noises - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (10 replies)
  • Noises? - TJ Wrangler Technical Forum (3 replies)

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.