bad idle boggy acceleration - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bad idle boggy acceleration

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 09-03-2011, 03:29 AM   #1
acoustal
1987 YJ Wrangler 

bad idle boggy acceleration

hi im new to the jeep forum. this is my first post so here it goes... hope im putting this in the right section.

So this week say 4 days ago i started to notice my 87 yj 2.5 5 speed manual was taking longer than usual to start. the engine would have a long crank then finally start up. If I stopped to run in the store and start it up again it was crank then die. Then start right up the second time I tired. So i went down to the parts store and they said my battery was almost dead. Replaced the battery. Started the same as before but now the engine idles really rough and when i accelerate it feels like it may be running out of gas. speeds up slows down. when i get to the desired speed it runs more smooth. could this be a bad fuel pump or ignition coil

fuel filter is good
new plugs and cap 4 mo. ago
new wires, cap, rotor maybe a year ago
ignition coil 2 years ago.
new exhaust manifold 2 months ago (didnt change the O2 sensor)

any help is appreciated

oh and if i posted this incorrectly pls give pointers

acoustal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #2
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Fuel pump pressure. Check it at idle and under load.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #3
acoustal
1987 YJ Wrangler 

yea thats where i was thinking to start. i was going to try to get a gauge from my brother in law (if he has one that is) to test pressure this weekend. just wanted to know the best place to start.
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
alex101
1987 YJ Wrangler 

hey acoustal i noticed i have been have that same problem just recently with the slow down speed up. let me know how your fix goes so i can go about with mine
alex101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Also look at your fuel plunger. Look down your carb with motor off. Move accelerator and see how much gas is injected into your carb. Easy fix. Also look at your choke for start up problems.

While you have this problem you are going to have battery problems. Throw the charger on the battery over the weekend.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
acoustal
1987 YJ Wrangler 

will do alex.

pasinbuy, my jeep is throttle boddy. i did take the housing off the throttle body to see if it was hanging up at all but it seemed to be in working order. last time i had acceleration issues it was the ignition coil that was the culprit but that time i had random miss fires in the intake. this time it seems more like insufficient gas. ive never ran out of gas in a vehicle but i imagine this it what it would be like?

are there any fuses or sensors i should check? cause this was a gradual thing. i kind of could feel a little hesitation before it decided to go down hill after changing the battery
Unread 09-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #7
acoustal
1987 YJ Wrangler 

oh this could play factor to the problem not sure tho. when we did the exhaust change my bro in law pulled all the sensors and wires apart before i got a chance to label them. so we had to do some guess work to put them back together. maybe got one wrong? but if so it wouldnt run fine for 2 months would it? first few connections ran bad but then finally got it what i assumed was right because it ran normal.
Unread 09-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustal View Post
will do alex.

pasinbuy, my jeep is throttle boddy. i did take the housing off the throttle body to see if it was hanging up at all but it seemed to be in working order. last time i had acceleration issues it was the ignition coil that was the culprit but that time i had random miss fires in the intake. this time it seems more like insufficient gas. ive never ran out of gas in a vehicle but i imagine this it what it would be like?

are there any fuses or sensors i should check? cause this was a gradual thing. i kind of could feel a little hesitation before it decided to go down hill after changing the battery
My mistake, I thought the 87 was carbed.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 12:27 AM   #9
acoustal
1987 YJ Wrangler 

anyone else have any areas to look into before i either get into replacing a bunch of parts or if the az weather is too hot i might save my self the trouble and take it to a shop
Unread 09-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Are the cats still on your exhaust?

11' F250 - DD

1982 Toyota Pick-Up - Spray-On Yellow Rhino Lined - Chevrolet 305 H.O. - SM465 - NP208C - All-Pro Off Road 5" Springs - 35x15.50x15 Super Swampers
cstone94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #11
acoustal
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I am thinking so cause ive never messed with them and it was pretty stock when I got the jeep. And I think you have to have them in az to pass emissions. Ill have to crawl under there and find out for sure
Unread 09-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If they are, I'd run it by a shop and get them to rub a backpressure test.
Unread 09-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #13
acoustal
1987 YJ Wrangler 

had the fuel pump swapped out by a local mechanic for 340. its 106 and i didnt feel like spending all day doin that. they said that pump and components were complete shot and were surprised it still pumped at all. runs normal now. so now time for upgraded front suspension. got a weird clunk coming from passenger side front tire
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
cstone94
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustal View Post
had the fuel pump swapped out by a local mechanic for 340. its 106 and i didnt feel like spending all day doin that. they said that pump and components were complete shot and were surprised it still pumped at all. runs normal now. so now time for upgraded front suspension. got a weird clunk coming from passenger side front tire
Good to hear you got it fixed! And what kind of clunk?
Unread 09-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
acoustal
1987 YJ Wrangler 

not exactly sure since i dont know the correct names of all the pieces but i think i need a few new bushing and ball joints. im thinkin they are all original so they need to be swapped out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.