Bad Idle After Team Rush - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad Idle After Team Rush

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 08-23-2009, 09:53 PM   #1
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Bad Idle After Team Rush

So I finally finish my TR upgrade today. Fired up pretty easily, choke engaged idle at around 1400rpm. Sounded nice & smooth. I let it warm up and tapped the gas to disengage the choke. Idled around 700rpm, again no problem. But then after idling for 5 minutes or so, it died. It was almost like it ran out of gas, in fact I did add some gas to the tank and even a capful into to the carb. It took a couple of tries adding capfuls of gas to get it running again, but now, it won't hold an idle. I've just done a carb rebuild and the engine was running okay prior to the TR with the exception of an occasional miss at idle.

Anyone had this happen after a TR upgrade?

Last edited by CajunHiker; 08-24-2009 at 11:39 AM..
CajunHiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Forgot to mention, it's Nuttered and has the Carter carb. Is a carb adjust usually required after doing the TR?
Anyone?
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #3
antec

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunHiker View Post
Forgot to mention, it's Nuttered and has the Carter carb. Is a carb adjust usually required after doing the TR?
Anyone?
what do you have the timeing set at. after my team rush the timeing was off about 5 deg
antec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:48 AM   #4
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't recheck my timing. I believe it's around 6d btdc. I'll have look at it again. Like I said, it was running fine for 5 minutes or so.
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
antec

Quote:
I didn't recheck my timing. I believe it's around 6d btdc. I'll have look at it again. Like I said, it was running fine for 5 minutes or so.
what coil are you runing??
Unread 08-24-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Stock coil, didn't change it.
Unread 08-24-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
antec

you might not have the voltage to run that cap then i would try to get TFI coil or a better stock style coil li9ke from MSD.
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:02 PM   #8
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You're gonna have to explain that one to me.
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:13 PM   #9
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure you did not plug some vacuum hose by mistake while doing the upgrade, if you have fuel and spark but does not hold an idle, it sounds sensor related to me, you still have the stock carb, which makes me think you may have the spaguetti of hoses there too... make sure you did not unplug something by mistake.

The coil does not have to do with it, you can run the rotor and cap with a stock coil, however you must not gap the plugs with the stock coil because your spark will get weak current wise. If you have the stock coil and gapped the plugs, I recommend you go back to original plug setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #10
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

As stated previously, used existing stock coil. New cap, rotor, wires & plugs.
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:32 PM   #11
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I edited my post, please take a look

Quote:
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
Unread 08-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #12
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Same plugs as I was using before, Champion RFN14LY w/ 0.035" gap. It's been nuttered with most of the emissions related vacuum lines gone.
Unread 08-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #13
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

When you say it won't hold an idle, does it die as soon as you let go of the throttle? does it stall or something?

Quote:
Unread 08-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #14
CajunHiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antec View Post
what do you have the timeing set at. after my team rush the timeing was off about 5 deg
Hats off to you antec, indeed my timing had drifted with the change of the dist cap. Thanks.
Unread 08-26-2009, 10:17 PM   #15
antec

Quote:
Hats off to you antec, indeed my timing had drifted with the change of the dist cap. Thanks.
it's b/c of the adapter and the cap. if you every have to change the adapter check the timeing it's something with the way thay make then no two are the same lol. i have worked with a lot of ford 300 lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.