Bad IAC motor?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad IAC motor??

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-24-2011, 08:12 AM   #16
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
It's called "back-probe". Basically you try and stick the end of the meter probe into the backside of the connector, right where the wire is also going in. Sometimes the probe is too fat - so you can stick a sewing pin in there instead, and hook the meter up to the pins.
What the Iron-Dude said. The wife, sister, GF or Mistress will have a safety pin or a straight pin you can stick through the backside of the connector at the wire/seal junction.

jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:57 AM   #17
grivera
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It's called "back-probe". Basically you try and stick the end of the meter probe into the backside of the connector, right where the wire is also going in. Sometimes the probe is too fat - so you can stick a sewing pin in there instead, and hook the meter up to the pins.
thanks!
grivera is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #18
grivera
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
What the Iron-Dude said. The wife, sister, GF or Mistress will have a safety pin or a straight pin you can stick through the backside of the connector at the wire/seal junction.
which is terminal A and which is B?
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #19
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
which is terminal A and which is B?
It is on the connector side. Small letters
Unread 11-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #20
grivera
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had some trouble making contact with a thin paper clip, which I cut in two pieces.
Vehicle off- When contact was made, I read 2.2 with throttle closed and 3.7-4.3 with throttle open. these readings fluctuated and I wasn't able to duplicate the numbers and therafter kept gettin 10+ volts whether or not throttle was open. Above readings were with volt meter scale set to "20"
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #21
grivera
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Bmp
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:29 PM   #22
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I had some trouble making contact with a thin paper clip, which I cut in two pieces.
Vehicle off- When contact was made, I read 2.2 with throttle closed and 3.7-4.3 with throttle open. these readings fluctuated and I wasn't able to duplicate the numbers and therafter kept gettin 10+ volts whether or not throttle was open. Above readings were with volt meter scale set to "20"
Here's a better way to test, check out the video:
http://www.youtube.com/v/406BTo4JE3A

Last edited by oldtime_ironman; 11-24-2011 at 08:30 PM.. Reason: html
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #23
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliftedjeep View Post
What would be a good indication that you have a bad IAC motor? what type of symtoms would i experience? i have had a few idle issues as of late. My rpm's like to hang around 1500 inbetween shifts or when i put the jeep in neutral to coast to a stop. as my speed is reduced and i am coming near to a full stop, the rpms will dip down to around where they should be. I replaced the TPS sensor, but that was not the problem. could this be a bad IAC? or will a bad IAC cause different problems?
Here's a pretty easy way to test it all, check out the video:
www.youtube.com/v/406BTo4JE3A
no need for real hassle.
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:52 AM   #24
grivera
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
no need for real hassle.

Thanks. What is meant by the diagnally placed teminals to connect the OHM meter leads? The IAC terminals are 4 in a row...
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:57 AM   #25
grivera
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
no need for real hassle.

Thanks. What is meant by the diagnally placed teminals to connect the OHM meter leads? The IAC terminals are 4 in a row...
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #26
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Just do the business card procedure. Cheep and easy.

Start it up and place a business card over a portion of the IAC ports. Slide it back and forth. Exposing more/less of the ports. This acts just like the plunger opening and closing. If the idle comes back down thing you have a bad IAC or dirty seat.

FWIW on my stroker I had to drill a small .030 +/- hole in the throttle plate to pass more air then the TB would allow. This was with a 64mm TB. Not relevant to a stock engine but the point is I used the business card to help obtain the correct sized hole.

If you are still confused then post up. I`ll take a couple pictures later.
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:08 AM   #27
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The IAC in the video was just an example from a Ford or GM car. It was just to show the concept of "how to". To get the right terminals on the jeep, I would refer to the Haynes manual. If you don't have one, I can look it up later on today - but I do recommend getting some good manuals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.