bad ecu? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > bad ecu?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 11-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
jdb_us1
1979 CJ7 

bad ecu?

Quick question...I hope. If I were to forget to disconnect the battery and did some welding on a frame that held a 4.0 would the current damage the ecu so as to cause a no crank situation? The fuel pump runs with the key in the on position, but twist a little further to start and I get nothing. I have a slick little relay bypass switch that when plugged into the starter relay position will crank and start the engine, so I have power into and out of the relay to the starter. I have traced wires and checked continuity and tested switches and plugs and on and on. Any thoughts?

Jim

jdb_us1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, it could... this is why you should always disconnect when you weld. I once saw a guy blow the roof air bag on a BMW while using a resistance spot welder to install a quarter panel (with the battery disconnected!!)

You have an odd problem for sure, but if all you did was welding and were no where near the wiring doing so, I would suspect it myself.

First up, check each and every fuse... Then I would swap out relays for the ASD and Fuel Pump with other relays and see if it changes before you go any further.
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #3
jdb_us1
1979 CJ7 

yup, swapped all relays, then bought some new ones thinking maybe my spares were bad. Fuel pump primes with the key rotation, not sure I would know about the ASD though. No go. All fuses are good. I am really miffed, I can start the engine with a remote starter and with the aforementioned relay bypass, but no key. The starter relay diagram in the Haynes manually actually shows a lead going to both the "ecu", and the"engine controller". I can only think that those are one in the same although haven't traced the wire to the "engine controller". Does anyone know if those two wires are delivering signal to or from the ECU? Although I guess it wouldn't much matter, if the unit is bad, it is bad.

I guess my real question still is will a bad ECU prevent the engine from cranking?
Unread 11-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
jdb_us1
1979 CJ7 

oh, you did answer that question. Sorry
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #5
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

No the starter is on its own circut. If you can start it with a remote starter and it runs your ECM is fine. I do not know how to troubleshoot your issue but I do know your ECM is fine since the engine runs and the actual starter has its own circut seperate from the ECM. You should talk to QUe89YJ. He is our electrical guru.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #6
jdb_us1
1979 CJ7 

ok. the jeep runs again. And before I tell everyone who might stumble upon this thread, or those who might be watching, or who have commented, I need to make a statement.

No matter how good you think you are, how great your mechanical skills are, for petes sake, always retrace your steps when you encounter a problem that seems to have come out of the blue. It very well may be the simplest thing that you thought could never go wrong with the job. That includes checking your fuses and swapping relay's, and as much of a pita it is, check your grounds.

Now to the solution to my problem. I had a no crank situation after I welded some new shock mounts to the frame. I was pretty sure I unhooked the battery but not 100%, and so was afraid I fried the ECU. Come to find out, after peeling the loom off of the entire engine wiring harness just to trace a wire that went from the starter relay to the ECU, I found a splice in the wire and it wan to another circuit. A circuit that ran through a plug. Well....in my earnst to make the swap look OE, I unplugged the harness at said plug because it did not power any components that I was using with the swap. Apparently the wire in question double back through the plug to complete a circuit. PLug the discarded harness back in and voila!

THanks for the input from all who tried to help. Now if only someone could come up with an acronym to relate my alcohol consumption to my Jeep ownership, I would have a slick ending to this three day ordeal. Thanks again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.