Bad Binding In 4wd And Break Lights Don't Work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad Binding In 4wd And Break Lights Don't Work

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
onlyinaYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Bad Binding In 4wd And Break Lights Don't Work

SO THE 4WD WORKS BUT UNDER LOAD OR TIGHT TURNS IT BINDS BADLY.SOUNDS LIKE ITS METAL TO METAL I HAVE LIFTED THE JEEP COMPLETELY ON JACK STANDS AND CAN'T GET IT TO MAKE THE SOUND.AND ALL SHAFTS SEEM TO HAVE NORMAL PLAY. I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE SPIDER GEARS AND WAS NEEDING MORE JEEP VETERAN INFO.. OK SO THE OTHER THING WHATS THE DEAL WITH JEEPS AND BREAK LIGHT PROBLEMS. HAD AN OLD CJ GAVE ME THE SAME PROBLEM HAD TO PAY $200.OO TO HAVE THAT FIXED. REALLY WOULD LIKE TO DO IT MYSELF BUT IM STUMPED CHECKED ALL FUSES AND BULBS AND CONECTIONS AND REPLACED THE BREAK PEDAL SWITCH ALL OTHER LIGHTS WORK PROPERLY .PLEASE IF YOU NO SOME CRAZY THING IM MISSING PLEASE HELP ME THANKS ...JEEP BREAKERS

onlyinaYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

when you noticed the binding in 4wd, were you on pavement? if so, that's just the nature of 4x4, it turns all the wheels at the same speed, and when turning, the outside wheels need to turn faster but can't, which causes things to bind. that's why 4x4 is for "loose, low traction" surfaces only.

for the brakes, have you pulled the tail light housings to check the mounting screws for rust? when I had issues with my brake lights, it was because of a bad ground which was caused by the mounting screws being badly rusted.
Unread 12-30-2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post
when you noticed the binding in 4wd, were you on pavement? if so, that's just the nature of 4x4, it turns all the wheels at the same speed, and when turning, the outside wheels need to turn faster but can't, which causes things to bind. that's why 4x4 is for "loose, low traction" surfaces only.

for the brakes, have you pulled the tail light housings to check the mounting screws for rust? when I had issues with my brake lights, it was because of a bad ground which was caused by the mounting screws being badly rusted.
Ummmm. No, all four wheels don't turn unless you have lockers. There is some light "binding" with open differentials on dry pavement but if you here a metal to metal sound you have some other problem.
Unread 12-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #4
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep View Post
Ummmm. No, all four wheels don't turn unless you have lockers. There is some light "binding" with open differentials on dry pavement
An open dif distributes the torque evenly between the wheels until one wheel starts to slip or spin, then it puts all the power to the wheel with the least amount of traction. The transfer case on the wrangler is undifferentiated and will bind on dry pavement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
onlyinaYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the info but i was off road @ the time

i was only in sand deep sand and hill/rock climbing i never have to use it on road due to living if Florida no ice here. just looked at the inside of my tail light housing and it is all rusty thanks i'll have to get me one thoes there thingamagigs

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.