Bad Alternator ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Bad Alternator ???

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 10-25-2001, 03:18 PM   #1
JKMB

Bad Alternator ???

Over the last couple of days I've noticed the charge indicator on the dash slowing moving to the "-" side. I've replaced the battery and everything was OK for about a day, but then the charge dropped and the Jeep stalls. Does this sound like an alternator problem? If I let the car sit for about an hour it will start again, but then dies shortly after.

Unread 10-25-2001, 06:08 PM   #2
glm 87 wrangler

Quick tip turn every thing off in your jeep close door so dome light is not on, radio,
AC,heat,lights,etc,dont want them on.then
while the jeep is running pull off any battery cable pos neg does not matter,if it cut off there you go alternator is bad.Carry it to an auto parts have tested if it does not cut off dios.could be bad.Hope this helps
Unread 10-26-2001, 10:58 AM   #3
archie

check the fuses in the power distribution box just in front of the battery I had the same problem but found the culprit wasn't the alternator but a blown fuse (50 amp if memory serves) thanks to some one trying boost the battery with leads on backwards.

Archie
archie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2001, 10:59 AM   #4
archie

check the fuses in the power distribution box just in front of the battery I had the same problem but found the culprit wasn't the alternator but a blown fuse (50 amp if memory serves) thanks to some one trying boost the battery with leads on backwards.

Archie
archie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2001, 11:56 AM   #5
JKMB

I think it's fixed. Here's the deal.
The new battery I installed a few days ago was apparently being drained by the bad alternator. I replaced the bad alternator (literally a five minute job) and everything seems OK. At first the battery was not holding it's charge and the Jeep would die after about 2 minutes. Once I fully charged the battery it seemed to be able to hold the charge. I mistakenly assumed that if I could start the engine the battery would quickly re-charge itself - not the case. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. If the problem returns I'll let you know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.