backspacing after 8.8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > backspacing after 8.8

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 05-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

backspacing after 8.8

Got a quick question concerning backspacing once I swap in my 8.8. The 8.8 being 1 inch shorter than the D35, my rear wheels will move inward 0.5in on each side. Being very anal about things being even, I already know that its gonna tick me off. My rims already have 4" of backspacing. Would 0.5" wheel spacers on each side (bringing my overall backspacing to 3.5") be anymore detrimental? I realize that this much backspacing puts more stress on wheel bearing but i'd like to know if it would be tolerable. Thanks.

stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have an 8.8 and I thought I would be anal about it too, but I can't tell the difference at all. I don't know if it's the fact I have bigger outer bearings from a 9 inch and a super 88 kit welded on that makes it a bit wider or if it's just so little difference that you don't notice though...There is nothing wrong with a proper 1/2" spacer though, just make sure it's a quality one IMO...
DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #3
idskot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think it's less than an inch shorter. It might be .75-.5" shorter. Either way, you can't tell the difference. Look at all of the people who have 8.8's installed and you'd never know.
idskot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #4
benmar2000
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I never really paid that much attention to mine after it was installed. The only thing that kind of bothers me is the rear has a kind of squat due to it being SUA. But I plan on fixing that when I put a lift kit on it. Plan on addings a 3/8in or 5/8in boom shackles in the rear when I install a lift kit.
benmar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:07 AM   #5
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It will be narrower but it doesn't change the back spacing or stresses related to back spacing. I would do the swap and then see if it really bothers you, definitely the most trivial part of swapping in an 8.8
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #6
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

the 8.8 is 5/8" shorter. trust me you'll never notice it. And my jeep doesnt sit any lower with the 8.8 and SUA...
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesserdude07
the 8.8 is 5/8" shorter. trust me you'll never notice it. And my jeep doesnt sit any lower with the 8.8 and SUA...
This.

Install it, then forget it. It's that simple.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmar2000 View Post
I never really paid that much attention to mine after it was installed. The only thing that kind of bothers me is the rear has a kind of squat due to it being SUA. But I plan on fixing that when I put a lift kit on it. Plan on addings a 3/8in or 5/8in boom shackles in the rear when I install a lift kit.
Yes, i'll definitely be adding estended shackles in the rear as well to make up for the larger tube diameter since I'm SUA too.
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
This.

Install it, then forget it. It's that simple.

Max

Ok, I'll try to do that. I'll just have to wait and see once its in there. I just know myself to be very anal when it comes to these things... everything must be even/symmetrical... it's a sickness!
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
lutzke21

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I understand the need for everything to "look" right. I'm much the same way as you are.

You don't even notice the difference. The squat comes from the bigger perches compressing the springs more. I left mine because I may want to flip them to go SOA one day, I'll add a little shackle length to even it out. But unless you are stare my Jeep down and breaking out the tape, it's hard to notice.

Squat? What squat?

'94 YJ on 35s

JULY 2013 YJOTM
lutzke21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #11
DLWRUBI
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with the squat, between the tube diameter and how high the perches are when welded on, the rear will drop a bit, mine was about 3/4 - 1", I simply bought new BDS 5" springs to compensate like Anticaman did...
DLWRUBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLWRUBI View Post
I agree with the squat, between the tube diameter and how high the perches are when welded on, the rear will drop a bit, mine was about 3/4 - 1", I simply bought new BDS 5" springs to compensate like Anticaman did...
so what would u recommend more... extended shackles in the rear or new springs?
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #13
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratostix View Post
so what would u recommend more... extended shackles in the rear or new springs?
You don't need a lot. Just 5/8 inch will cover the tube width difference.
I went with a pair of boomerang shackles with 5/8 inch lift.

For the narrow part- the Super 88 kit widens it like an inch per side.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

A slight rear squat doesn't look bad to me.
1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
linusb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLWRUBI View Post
It's really an easy way to go if your springs need replacing anyway. My newest solution is to utilize longer shackles solely in the rear for a few reasons.

The decreased shackle in the front will level the jeep and positively affect castor angles.

The 1" rear shackles will pivot the axle and not effect pinion angle near as drastically as replacing the springs.

The 1" rear boomerang shackles do a good job at clearing the crossmember.

Despite the shadows, the shackle is not contacting the crossmember. And neither is the mil wrap eye. This is naturally where my suspension stops flexing. And yes, the longer shackles give the arched springs more room to flatten and compress.

And as its my first post in this thread and the subject is track width, I'll chime in: anytime max says something, put your remembering eyes on. There is a reason the man is revered in the jeeping world. Your width will be fine. Well unless one of your springs goes rogue from the pack but that's not directly related to to the issue at hand.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.