Backfiring... - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Backfiring...

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-06-2013, 07:21 AM   #76
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post

Good morning! YOU ARE CORRECT! Breakfast and the beginning of the day is good for us older folks!! With the kind of pressure MPFI requires the gas is under some high pressure so the boiling point of gas is way higher than anything that can be produced in an engine compartment.
Once the fuel is injected into the cylinders it gets fired and then it is nothing but exhaust gas.

BUT I still think heat does have something with this problem. I wonder what would happen if the OP pulled his hood or pop it partially open like I mentioned earlier?????

IIRC the one thing the OP didn't do was check for stored codes. Didn't one of us tell him about the 'key thing' for reading any DTC's? OR did he do so and I freakin' forgot already......I gotta get me some brain pills...
I agree heat is what's causing it. Its something worn or carbn build up. He did pull codes I thought.
He said it does it even on cool nights so I think its carbon or a bad pick up in the dizzy. If it was the coil it should miss since the coil fant make it fire off time but the pick up can. It works wirh the crank sensor to determine ignition timing. If the sensors are not accurate the engije computer can't be eithier. If it was crank it shouod lose spark entirely but the pick up can cause weak or miss timed spark. If it is just starting ro go its had readings can be caused once it heats up

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #77
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Checking the cam pick up on a '95 YJ. Your '93 should be the same:
Got to eliminate things or you will go in circles forever. Wait until it is running bad;

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/...ensor_test.pdf

Questions for the OP and this is a shot in the dark. When it happens again what is your speedometer doing? Jumping around a bit? Then if it is unplug the VSS sensor on the transfer case. It is screwed into the transfer case and supplies info to your speedometer. It is on the same 8 volt supply circuit as the crank and O2 sensor. If it begins to fail it causes issues until it shorts out completely and you do not get anything. Again just a long shot.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #78
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
Checking the cam pick up:
Got to eliminate things or you will go in circles forever. Wait until it is running bad;
Yes check it when its running like poo or you will get a bad reading. Good catch layback I didn't think about thatm

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #79
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Nope speedometer is always steady. The problem with checking it when it runs bad is that if I stop on the side of the road for literally 2 minutes, it starts run I g if e again for a few more miles. Then I have to stop again. I'll grab a pickup today when I grab the fuel filter (they didn't have one last night) and slap them on one at a time and see if it helps.
C2tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #80
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2tuck View Post
Nope speedometer is always steady. The problem with checking it when it runs bad is that if I stop on the side of the road for literally 2 minutes, it starts run I g if e again for a few more miles. Then I have to stop again. I'll grab a pickup today when I grab the fuel filter (they didn't have one last night) and slap them on one at a time and see if it helps.
Usually when the VSS start acting up the speedometer can get jumpy since it controls it. At this point the only alternative to testing is to replace the cam sensor.

A fuel filter replacement is mandatory if you do not know when it was changed last.

Good Luck!

One more thing to think about. If the coolant temp sensor is not sending the right value to the ECM you will run like crap also. It is often overlooked as a problem with a warmed up engine problem. I''d swap that out first since it is a lot less expensive.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 07-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #81
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ok. About to throw a new fuel filter on. Went to oriellys and they said the pickup for the dist was 200 bucks! So hopefully it's the fuel filter. I'll let you guys know
Unread 07-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #82
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok. About to throw a new fuel filter on. Went to oriellys and they said the pickup for the dist was 200 bucks! So hopefully it's the fuel filter. I'll let you guys know
Thays crazy you can get new dizzy with pick up at autozone for $60 or $45 for just the sensor.-

Unread 07-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #83
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

An easy teat to see if it is vss is to just unplug it. Normally when coolant temp goes it runs like crap all the time. Not just warmed up bit anytging is possible

Unread 07-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #84
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ok. I'll check that when I get the driveshaft back in it. Rear of the tcase was leaking so I dove into that. I tried the water in the throttle body trick and it didn't work. Pulled it off and cleaned all the carbon off of it. Intake was pretty nasty too. Cleaned what I could and sprayed the crap out of it. Changed the fuel filter too and no change.
Unread 07-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #85
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok. I'll check that when I get the driveshaft back in it. Rear of the tcase was leaking so I dove into that. I tried the water in the throttle body trick and it didn't work. Pulled it off and cleaned all the carbon off of it. Intake was pretty nasty too. Cleaned what I could and sprayed the crap out of it. Changed the fuel filter too and no change.
This says you have carbon build up in the cylinders to then. Dont know if its bad enoughto causw this though. I really think its the pick up

Unread 07-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #86
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

You by chance have a part number for that?
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #87
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2tuck
You by chance have a part number for that?
No I didn't save it if you go to autozone or advances website it will be there. They are both the correct part on the sites

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum

Unread 07-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #88
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

This might be it; I would call them first.
But Autozone or Advanced auto parts should have this also
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/distrib...-56027023.html

I do believe that the OEM part number is 53009077 and is called a stator or magnetic pickup.

Unread 07-06-2013, 07:43 PM   #89
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

God I hate oriellys. Just got home with l my parts and they sold me the wrong seal for the out shaft on my tcase. Oh...and they are 30 minutes away! Guess I'll do it tomorrow and grab one of those. Thanks guys
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:51 PM   #90
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ok. Went and ordered the stator today...should be in tomorrow. Got my seal replaced on the tcase out shaft. Need to fix a leak on the front axle as well. Want to tear into it and broke my half inch extension...can't say I've ever done that before. That's thing is on there! Looks like I'm taking the night off

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.