Backfiring... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Backfiring...

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 07-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #46
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hmm. He was saying he had a chevy do the same symptoms as my jeep and that is what it was. Said that they are made of plastic and that they crack...on e they get to operating temp they swell and oil gets inside and shorts them out causing them to run like crap.

Any thoughts on the muffler being clogged?

I feel like its more of a breathing issue than anything...

C2tuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #47
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Anyone??
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #48
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

as far as the crank sensor goes i agree. usually when they are bad you get a no spark, no fuel, no start situation. not a runs like crap situation.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #49
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

What about cam sensor though? Isn't that the one that controls spark and timing on these motors? Not he crank sensor...
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #50
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The cam sensor has nothing at all to do with what is normally called timing, which is nothing more than spark advance. Spark advance is read from the crank sensor not the cam sensor.

when the crank sensor goes kaput it shuts down the signal to send power to the coil and fuel pump from the ecm. this keeps the engine from flooding mostly. that is why i am saying it probably wont be the crank sensor.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #51
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

before the peanut gallery chimes in here is what the cam sensor does....

This camshaft position sensor would just let the computer know what exactly is going on and whether the amount of air being let in is too much so then the MAF (Mass-Air Flow) sensor will have to restrict back on the amount of air let in by adjusting the throttle position sensor (TPS). The cam sensor also tells the computer at exactly what position the camshaft is. This allows the computer to know whether a particular piston in the engine is on the power stroke, intake stroke, or exhaust stroke.

not saying that the cam sensor can't be bad, i just don't want you being misinformed about it's function.

incidentally if the cam sensor is sending bad info you could be firing on the wrong stroke of the motor causing backfiring and loss of power.

Unread 07-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #52
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

But would that change with engine temp or would it always be the same?
Unread 07-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #53
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Could it be the engine temp sensor?
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #54
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

does what change with engine temp?

as far as i know the water temp sensor has no bearing at all on ecm input on obd1. it is strictly an output reading of the water temp and nothing more.
now i do know that on some newer obd2 vehicles it will make the transmission shift later if the motor is not up to operating temp.

Unread 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #55
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well ****. I'm at a loss then. Don't want to start throwing parts at this thing and I REALLY don't want to spend too much on this motor as I'm gonna swap it ASAP. Just not ready yet.
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:23 AM   #56
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i would start with the exhaust since it sounds to be all screwed anyhow.

it is possible that when the cat was tore out the cake may have already let loose into the muffler.

after that i would start checking sensors.

since it starts and runs i would rule out the crank sensor.
maf,iac, and tps would be the next place i look. i don't even know if that motor uses a maf i just put it there.
also... o2 sensor and make sure your not vapor-locking the fuel system anywhere. if the fuel lines are run in any weird place next to a heat source. also if the injectors are notorious for vapor-locking.

i don't remember what vehicle you have and i'm too lazy to look through the thread to find it. . . it would be a huge help for this problem or any future issues if you were to fill out your profile.

Unread 07-03-2013, 10:35 AM   #57
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
i would start with the exhaust since it sounds to be all screwed anyhow.

it is possible that when the cat was tore out the cake may have already let loose into the muffler.

after that i would start checking sensors.

since it starts and runs i would rule out the crank sensor.
maf,iac, and tps would be the next place i look. i don't even know if that motor uses a maf i just put it there.
also... o2 sensor and make sure your not vapor-locking the fuel system anywhere. if the fuel lines are run in any weird place next to a heat source. also if the injectors are notorious for vapor-locking.

i don't remember what vehicle you have and i'm too lazy to look through the thread to find it. . . it would be a huge help for this problem or any future issues if you were to fill out your profile.
Agreed! Cut the exhaust system before the muffler and spec the insides to see if is clogged, which I am doubting at this time. Then drive this Jeep if you can stand the noise and you won't get a ticket. If the exhaust is disco'd after the O2 sensor and it still bogs....it isn't a clogged exhaust system!

Since it runs good cold it is wiring (or sensors) when it goes into closed loop mode.

If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, I should be able to bench press a Grand Cherokee by now!
laybackman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #58
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ok. I'm gonna take it in tomorrow morning for a new exhaust from manifold back. Thinking I'm gonna leave the cat off. Any thoughts?? Hopefully this will take care of my problem...if not, then on to the next clue...
Unread 07-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #59
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Is there anyway to test these sensors? Really don't want to throw parts at it. Let me know...and again. Thanks for all the help guys!
Unread 07-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #60
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ok. It's not the exhaust. It did have the original muffler on there so I went ahead and put a flow on it. It's a heck of a lot louder and seems to have a little more power as it should. But the problem is still there. I threw a new coil on it as that was the only thing besides the dist that I haven't changed in the ignition system. Still not any better. Any ideas where I should go next??

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.