Backfiring... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Backfiring...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 07-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ok...so I just got home. Crawled under the jeep and guess what...no cat. So now I'm really stumped. My o2 sensor is directly behind the manifold, it zig zags over to the passenger side, straight thru to the muffler. Which is kinda funny seeing that it just passed inspection. You can see where the car was taken out and a straight pipe welded in place of it.

Thoughts? I'm about to check the timing. I'll let you know what I find out.

Guess mike_breaker_5 owes me 10 bucks! Haha

C2tuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #32
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Timing is steady at 8 degrees
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #33
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Anyone? Still think its the exhaust or timing??
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #34
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i'll have to get the cash in your account friday on payday. i would still check the muffler for a plug. find out what is rattling in the exhaust. the cat may have let loose and plugged the muffler.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #35
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

No. Don't worry about it brother. Just messin'eith you. Really want to know what the hell is causing this. Need to make it my DD for a few weeks while I repaint my truck...
Unread 07-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #36
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2tuck View Post
Ok...so I just got home. Crawled under the jeep and guess what...no cat. So now I'm really stumped. My o2 sensor is directly behind the manifold, it zig zags over to the passenger side, straight thru to the muffler. Which is kinda funny seeing that it just passed inspection. You can see where the car was taken out and a straight pipe welded in place of it.

Thoughts? I'm about to check the timing. I'll let you know what I find out.

Guess mike_breaker_5 owes me 10 bucks! Haha
What do you mean the O2 goes straight thru to the muffler?????? It should be in your exhaust downpipe

If the O2 sensor wires are being subjected to too much heat that might cause your problem also. Insulate or move the wiring to see if that makes your YJ run better.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #37
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

the o2 sensor could just be all around fried. that could cause backfiring and a loss of all power.

5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:51 AM   #38
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
the o2 sensor could just be all around fried. that could cause backfiring and a loss of all power.
Agreed! He can check it using a volt meter. They are 60.00 or more so it is not a cheap part to test by replacing it.

Buy the good one with the correct plug not the cheap Chinese knock offs that aren't worth spit.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:06 AM   #39
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

i use the bosch ones, i have always had good luck with them.

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #40
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
i use the bosch ones, i have always had good luck with them.
I forgot to mention the best brand! Thanks for filling in the blanks for this foggy brained old fart!!!!

Unread 07-02-2013, 08:41 AM   #41
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

No no. I meant the manifold. O2 sensor. Then pipe all the way to the muffler. Sorry for the confusion.

The po of this jeep didn't drive it much. Actually got it from a friend. Could it be some kind of clog in the muffler? Since it was sitting could it be a wasp nest or something in there? Just going out in a limb here. Gonna replace the exhaust anyways. Should I put a cat on or leave it off?

If o2 sensor is bad wouldn't my CEL be on?
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #42
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

o2's can fail within spec and never set off a cel. Even when they do fail out of spec the wont always set off a hard code. that keeps the light lite up. I periodically use the key trick to check for codes that wont set the light off.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #43
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No no. I meant the manifold. O2 sensor. Then pipe all the way to the muffler. Sorry for the confusion.

The po of this jeep didn't drive it much. Actually got it from a friend. Could it be some kind of clog in the muffler? Since it was sitting could it be a wasp nest or something in there? Just going out in a limb here. Gonna replace the exhaust anyways. Should I put a cat on or leave it off?

If o2 sensor is bad wouldn't my CEL be on?
Listen to me real good! I have 65 candles going on my next stinkin' birthday cake AND I have a wife that thinks I am an idiot....I don't need the extra stress........

Unread 07-02-2013, 10:50 AM   #44
C2tuck
2014 JK Wrangler 

Haha...

What about a cam sensor or crank sensor? Busy of mine said that's what he thought they were...opinions??
Unread 07-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #45
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Haha...

What about a cam sensor or crank sensor? Busy of mine said that's what he thought they were...opinions??
If either of them or the MAP sensor were bad it would not run well, or at all, either cold or hot since they are vital for real time fuel/air/timing adjustments IIRC.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.