Backfire hesitation where to start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Backfire hesitation where to start

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Backfire hesitation where to start

1994 4.0 with 165k. It started stuttering when I was driving down the highway this weekend. Holding a constant speed it is smooth like normal. But under throttle you can feel a little hesitation that makes the Jeep buck a bit. It got a lot worse yesterday especially in non highway driving when accelerating. Once up to constant speed its smooth again. While accelerating almost sounds like a chopper motorcycle accelerating.

Yesterday I popped hood and looked for anything obvious. It was backfiring and popping at idle mainly out of the exhaust but you can hear it up in the engine compartment as well.

About a year and a half ago the fuel pump was changed as it was causing the Jeep to die while driving. 02 sensor was changed 6 months ago. Fuel filter was changed probably year and a half as well. It's not tripping the CEL. Any idea where to start?

Oh and for a few minutes this morning it was normal. So I don't think its a plugged issue as I imagine that would remain constant. So I'm guessing something electrical.

bchap05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Backfiring is firing at the wrong time. Ifg it is firing the plugs when the intake valves are open it is a timing issue and you will need to check the distributor and the timing chain. Do you hear any chain slap on the timing chain cover?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
JohnRodriguez
1989 YJ Wrangler 

lean misfire. pull a plug and see if it is bone white. it should have a slight redish color if it is getting enough fuel. bone white if it is lean. filter is probably plugged
89 Wrangler, 2.5L TBI, D30 Truetrac 4.56 gear front, Super 35 4.56 gears rear, 31" BFG Mud's, 15x9" weld racing pro-stars XP's, 2.5" rancho and 1.25" shackels, superior axles. rear wilwood disc brakes

2008 wrangler x unlimited. Stone white. Motech 5.3L LS Chevy
JohnRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks I'll give both of those a shot when I get home. I haven't noticed a chain slap. The backfiring seems to be when it first fires up cold. Then it quits. The stuttering is constant under acceleration. It has not popped a CEL at all but I checked the codes anyways and it was pulling 24 which is the TPS. Replaced the TPS and fixed nothing.
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need to disconnect the battery and count to 10 to clear a fault code that is set. If you are getting a tps code it is because the vacuum it is expecting from the map sensor does not agree with the tps position. Double check to see if the code resets. Usually a cold start issue like you are describing is an issue with the engine temp sensor located right next to the tsat housing; cheap $20 part.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #6
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

When I changed the TPS last night I pulled the battery to reset and it did clear the code. The only codes now are the normal 12 and 33. The back firing is at cold start. But no matter how warm it is the stuttering is still bad constantly.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a meter you can read the resistance on the sensor. The codes will definitely tell you when something fails out of spec but will not tell you if the sensor range fails in range.
coolantandairtempchart.jpg

Unread 11-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
bchap05
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Put new plugs and wires today runs like new. One plug had white residue on it
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:02 PM   #9
willawolfe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I just resolved a similar issue by replacing plugs. My no. 1 plug had a crack in the porcelain. I'm glad your issue was resolved as easily as mine.
willawolfe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.