Back Seat "Forward Tilt" Latch..... Lock? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Back Seat "Forward Tilt" Latch..... Lock?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 09-01-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Back Seat "Forward Tilt" Latch..... Lock?

Short version: Insta-Trunk storage area can be broken into easily!

Longer version: In the search for day-to-day secure storage behind the back seat, I finally cobbled up my version of an "Insta-Trunk". Cool, right? Not so.... I then realized the back seat can be tilted forward easily from inside the cab --- just press the forward part of the rear seat latch. (I never noticed this before... sheesh!). With the top off, anybody can just climb into the cab and release the rear seat latch in a matter of about 5 seconds.

So, anybody come up with a simple way of locking the rear seat latch so it can't be released? Kinda makes having lockable storage behind the rear seat a moot point if you can just tilt the rear seat forward.

I thought up all kinds of Rube Goldberg devices, and then I just wrapped a zip-tie around the body tub bracket and the seat pin. I can see how a bracket could be fabbed up to bolt inside the tub latch bracket, and you could simply use a clip-pin to block it from opening (exactly like how you lock your average gate latch). But, I thought I'd ask here first. "Forum Search" came up empty for this particular issue.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Burlbook48; 09-01-2010 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: clarification
Burlbook48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #2
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What, nuthin'? Bump...
Unread 09-02-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Dose your "Insta-Trunk" not go all the way to the floor behind the seat, and bolt to the fender wells?

I build my own insta trunk, as part of a modular storage system that I made for my YJ. Basically my trunk section can be mounted in two locations. In the rear location, the back seat can be installed, and it's just like a regular Insta-Trunk. With the truck part in the froward location, and the back seat removed, I can add a tonneau lid, and can secure all of the space behind the front seats.

Any way, sorry for getting off topic, here is a pic of how I modified a hinge to work as a quick relese attachment point for my trunk.

I took a couple stainless steel hinges, and removed the pin. I then bolted 1/2 of the hinge to the floor of the jeep, and welded the other 1/2 of the hinge to the trunk. When the trunk is in position, I put a cotter pin through the hinge, which basically locks the trunk to the floor. Also, these are located on the inside of the trunk, so even with the rear seat removed, the trunk is still secure.
Unread 09-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

IIRC, the Bestop Insta-trunk has a completely enclosed space, not just a sectional piece covering the top opening behind the seat. There is an integrated section that closes off the space that would be otherwise open if the seat were tilted forward. The downside to the design is that you lose some of the open bedspace when you put in the insta-trunk. That is, unless you modify it so that the section that blocks off the open space facing the seatback is modular in design.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Muddy, Nonrubi, thanks. Never seen a real InstaTruck in the wild, and didn't know they have a back wall. Makes sense. Mine was only a top cover bolted to the sides, but even with the ledge "overhang" on my Bestop wheelwell storage boxes. In other words, I have lockable storage up to the top of the tailgate. 5 of 6 sides secure, the weak link being the folding rear seat and it's latch.

Nice mod on the pinned hinges, Muddy. Very practical.

But, in the interest of the original question, anybody ever devise a lock for the rear seat latch? Like I said, I have a couple ideas, but didn't want to re-invent the wheel if it's already been done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.