Back from Afghanistan and need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Back from Afghanistan and need help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #1
thunderstar99
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Back from Afghanistan and need help!

I just got back from Afghanistan and installed my 3 1/2 inch lift with 1 inch shackles and was wondering if I needed to upgrade my rear driveshaft to make it longer with that much lift. Thanks, William

thunderstar99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #2
dillonjm
30mm @ 70/sec

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome back bro.

The answer is: it depends. If you're not getting any driveline vibrations after the install at highway speeds then you don't need to worry about it.

Did your kit have a t-case skid drop with it?

11 Ram 2500 - 6.7 Cummins (DD/Tow Rig)

05 Liberty Limited (Wife's): Minor mods, OME/JBA Suspension, 245 70/17 Duratracs
dillonjm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Dlambright
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome home & thank you for your service! To answer your question, no you dont. You may need to shim the pinion up a bit if you get some vibes, but the driveshaft is fine with that much lift. You used a t-case drop kit with the lift right?
Dlambright is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
thunderstar99
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I used the t-case drop kit and I also got it all put back together and the rear shackles are facing the wrong direction so I have to go back and take care of that. I had never done anything that big before and was surprised how easy it actually was. Had to replace a lot of other stuff because the po didnt maintain it mechanically. I will try to put some pics up. Thanks for the info I really appreciate it as this is my first jeep and first build and I think Im addicted.
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #5
thunderstar99
1990 YJ Wrangler 

023.jpg

024.jpg
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:52 PM   #6
DavidHoover
1994 YJ Wrangler 

That's one of the best looking YJ's i've seen in a while!!!
DavidHoover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
thunderstar99
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Still have to retorque everything after it settles and then touch up on the paint to help with the rust and then on to the next part of the build.
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #8
dadstoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Torque your shackle bolts to 45ft/lbs or so. Flexes better and rides better.
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #9
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderstar99 View Post
I just got back from Afghanistan and installed my 3 1/2 inch lift with 1 inch shackles and was wondering if I needed to upgrade my rear driveshaft to make it longer with that much lift. Thanks, William
Have a look at the slip yoke and see how far out the lift has pulled it, you'll see some clean steel where that part of the yoke was behind the seal & the farther out it is, the less connection there will be between the yoke and the output shaft. The drive shaft isn't affected by the body lift & with only a 1" shackle lift, the shaft extension shouldn't be bad, so you probably don't need to do anything. Be careful about the t-case drop kit, this can sometimes change the U-joint angles to the point of causing vibration - there are a number of pictures around on what the angles should look like, but ideally the t-case and pinion u-joint angles should be the same (unless you have a double-cardan joint at the t-case).
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #10
dtn8tr
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Look at your front shackles...they are backwards. The rears are good. The front should have the short side of the shackle attached to the frame and the point should point into the center of the vehicle like this... > <, front and rear.

Most good stories start out "Y'all ain't gonna believe this ****...."
dtn8tr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.