BA10 shift lever removal when in neutral - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BA10 shift lever removal when in neutral

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-05-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
ScottsYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

BA10 shift lever removal when in neutral

I had an issue with my wonderful BA10 today and in the process of working on it I was able to pull my shift lever out when the tranny was in neutral. I am assuming that this should not happen. Upon further investigation I have a single split plastic ring where the shift lever goes in and what looks likes space for another. Is there supposed to be another plastic ring to hold the shift lever in? From what I have read it should require the removal of three bolts to pull that out. Not in my case, just comes right out.

Thanks

ScottsYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yes.
There should be a flat ring that lays across the top of the circular sleve that the 3 bolts go through and hold it all in place.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
ScottsYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

A picture is worth a thousand words so here is my shift lever and you can see the ring is on top but the plastic sleeve does not come all the way to the top to hold in the shift lever.

It looks like I need another spacer.
Unread 06-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #4
levergun
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazman68 View Post
A picture is worth a thousand words so here is my shift lever and you can see the ring is on top but the plastic sleeve does not come all the way to the top to hold in the shift lever.
It looks like I need another spacer.
The sleeve is not supposed to go all the way to the top. The diaphragm spring is missing. A common problem. You can get a new one at a dealer for like $10. Or.... You can upgrade!!!!

Here is a pic from another thread that you can kinda see the spring in. It goes over the shifter. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/build-thread-peugeot-ba10-5-nv3550-316455/

Unread 06-05-2009, 05:38 PM   #5
ScottsYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would love to upgrade, but I am currently experiencing an economic downturn in my jeep fund.

Last edited by ScottsYJ; 06-06-2009 at 06:27 PM..
Unread 06-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
ScottsYJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

For those who are interested, after three parts stores, three junkyards, one dealer and no luck in finding the necessary parts. The parts store guys were no help, the junk yards didn't have any wranglers older than a 92 or had none at all. The dealer just laughed and said good luck. So with things looking grim I started looking around the my pole barn to see what I could find. 2" PVC pipe was just a little to big for the top collar but not by much. I cut a 1" thick piece off and then cut a notch in one side to allow it to flex. The fit was perfect. Now, what could I use to keep the shift lever from coming out. A quick trip to the local hdw store for a sheet of red rubber gasket material. I cut out a piece the same diameter as the PVC and cut a hole the size of a 15mm socket. Put it all together and it was working but wasn't holding the shift lever as tight as I would like so I cut another gasket and slid that on. Put on the top collar and bolted on the top ring. Shift lever is now held tightly in place for the low low price of $4.00 for the rubber sheet. The cool thing is I now have 5th gear back and it no longer pops out of reverse. I think the problem with 5th and reverse was that the shift lever was rolling up and out of the transmission tower and not moving the shift forks completely. Needless to say I am happy to have my jeep back and am no longer mad at it even though it did cost me a day wheeling.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.