BA10 question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BA10 question

Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe still have some great deals going on!

Unread 12-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

BA10 question

I have an 87 wrangler YJ that I just bought. Sitting in garage for the past 4 years out in CA. Well I just got it running but the trans has a problem of popping out of reverse and it does not sound normal when backing up. Shifting is great going through the rest of the gears.

I have read the BA10 is not the best trans in the world but is it worth fixing or do I do the upgrade the the AX10.

epettit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #2
trboxman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

AX-15 or NV3550, but you should really do some research before you go that route. I just replaced both the transmission and the transfer case...cause in '87 they used a crappy transfer case also. Start here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...6/#post8107878
Unread 12-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #3
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

What did it cost you I you don't mind me asking and where did you get it?.
epettit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
trboxman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

A sharp shopper can do it with a new transmission and a rebuilt NP231 for around 2k. I spent a bit more than that for the trans and t-case, and then also bought new clutch, new master and slave, new flywheel along with a few other misc parts and pieces. I sourced the trans and t-case from e-bay. You can do the whole project for quite a bit less with straight up junkyard parts.
Unread 12-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

does it have a body lift or a transfer case drop? if so the shifter could be hitting the body not letting it go into gear all the way. the easiest way to fix it is to cut a small amount of the body away.
if it is indeed the tranny itself then like posted a swap is the best bet.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
blown50
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I got my yj about 5 years ago, I found I had got the BA tranny with mine, so I found a AX 15 and all the other parts to make it work, ( correct tail housing, correct input gear ect) but since trans shifted fine with no problems other than a slight whine when not in gear with the clutch out, I elected to just run her till it broke well through the years I have pretty much redone the whole jeep, including a 4.7 stroker motor, Guess what? The ole BA is still holding its own even behind the stroker now mind ya I created a magic mixture of gear oil for her and I don't pop the clutch or beat on her so if I were you I would check to be sure the shifter is not hitting the body in reverse as when I lifted mine I had to heat the shifter and bend it just a fuzz to make mine rite. Then I would run her till she broke as I don't believe they are as weak as people make them out to be Cause with the rite force anything can be broken
blown50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
YJ Rider
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
does it have a body lift or a transfer case drop? if so the shifter could be hitting the body not letting it go into gear all the way. the easiest way to fix it is to cut a small amount of the body away.
x2 on this. I had this exact issue till I put in an sye. Then was able to lift the tranny back up where it should be
Unread 12-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Let me describe it to you before I tear into it... Fire it up push in the clutch put it in reverse.... No problems yet.... Let out the clutch and start to back up then a second or two later bam it pops out if reverse and letting it coast backward the tranny does not sound health kind of a Grindy crunchy sound.

If I were to junk yard search for a ax15 what year model would I go after???
Unread 12-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
YJ Rider
1987 YJ Wrangler 

This is exactly what was happening to me. Before you spend a lot of time and money to take out a working transmission I would try at least taking off the shifter boot so you can then put it in reverse and 1) see if you are hitting material and 2) see if it is still popping out of gear.

That wont cost you a thing and may end up saving you the hassle of replacing the BA-10. (its not a gem but in my experience I wait till it breaks to fix it)

Let us know how it goes if you try it.
Unread 12-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

I will give it a go next weekend and report back.....thanks all
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
huskerconan
1987 YJ Wrangler 

did you ever find out anything on you reverse problem
huskerconan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #12
epettit
2013 JK Wrangler 

Replaced it with a AX15 and NP231. A trans guy said the reverse gear is probably bent???? I guess it is supposed to be a straight cut gear
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #13
Flajeeper1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by epettit View Post
Replaced it with a AX15 and NP231. A trans guy said the reverse gear is probably bent???? I guess it is supposed to be a straight cut gear
Bent gear??? BS. The fork might be bent but not a gear. Normal tranny shop c##p. Glad you made the change to the AX-15. You'll be much happier.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.