BA10 to AX15 swap question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > BA10 to AX15 swap question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 05-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

BA10 to AX15 swap question

Rig, 88 YJ, AMC 258 Straight 6, 4.2L, BA10, 21 spline NP231.

Getting rid of the crappy BA10.

I bought an AX15 (getting an external slave bellhousing, clutch master and slave cylinders).

Anything I should be changing out as well? Here is my list so far

23 spline NP231 & seals
Check Clutch Plate
Check Flywheel for resurface etc
Bellhousing Front Transmission Oil Seal
Transmission to TC oil seal
Check Transmission shaft size for pilot bushing
replace pilot bushing from .565" to .750" pilot bushing if needed (anyone got a part number for this guy [the .750"] just in case?)

I heard something like a 76 CJ pilot bushing works? whats the exact year / engine combo?

Thanks for the help, cheers!

88YJtoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
levergun
1979 CJ5 

Looks like you got it covered. My tranny was from a 90 so the bushing was the same but if you get a bushing the same year as your tranny you should be good. Also when you got the tranny boot off cut you floor back a little. I had some problems with mine not going fully into 2nd and popping out.

I've heard that the external slave needs a different master to work properly??? Something about the stroke being different??? I would have liked to have upgraded to the external but I got a good deal on the 90 tranny.

Also do you have a new mount??? The mounts are totally different. I just welded up an adapter plate for mine but the mounts are different. The BA/10 has 2 bolt holes that are much closer together than the AX15.
Unread 05-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

ah good call, transmission mount

My floor has already had some "modifications" the plates are held in with screws that I put in the drill and just tapped it down. So that won't be an issue... tin-snips are your friend, as is the angle grinder.

My crossmember already has the "location" for the AX15.

yes the External slave needs a new master cylinder. The Bellhousing that I bought comes with slave and master cylinder and the lines connecting. Can just line the master cylinder up (have to redrill bottom mounting hole) and the rest is cake.
Unread 05-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #4
Bridgeman
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Advance adapters can hook you up with the pilot bushing and the mounting plates for your tranny and for your t-case shift linkage. The mounting plates make this swap alot easier. If you don't mind spending some cash you can also get a stainless line to run from your master cylinder to the slave also from advance adapters. Your master cylinder is also fine to run the slave, no need to swap. I have been running the stock master for some time with no problems. The guys at advance adapters are very helpful(1-800-350-2223)
Bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I went through four of the BA-10's in my 88XJ before I finally got an AX-15...

The pilot bushing you're looking for is an early 1970's CJ with the AMC V8-304 and three-speed manual.

I know this is an XJ-centric thread, but you should still find plenty of useful information in here...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388
Unread 05-20-2009, 10:24 PM   #6
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

As for the np231, I can use an NP231 from a 97 Jeep Cherokee with 4.0L engine right?

Doesn't matter that it was an automatic with an electric shift does it, since the Arm should still be there that I can just attach my linkage to my manual shifter?
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

bump, need to know if buying a cherokee np231 will work or not... preferably before I buy it. Thanks
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

It should not.

As far as the clocking angle of the thing (the "Universal" is clocked flatter than the XJ/MJ/ZJ/...) that is done by the transfer case adapter on the transmission end, not the transfer case mounting studs. So even with the case being from an XJ, you should have no trouble.

Just make sure you can adapt the electric shift to the mechanical shift easily (I didn't know any XJs came with an electric shift transfer case...?)
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

oh is that it should not work, or it should not matter that its auto/manual?

I am looking at a 97 6 cylinder cherokee NP231, my TC is a 21 spline and is thrashed, I need a 23 spline and figured this should work for my 88 YJ / AX15 swap
Unread 05-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #10
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

bump, guess I will buy it and hope it works only about 20 min left on it (auction)
Unread 05-21-2009, 01:11 AM   #11
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88YJtoCJ View Post
oh is that it should not work, or it should not matter that its auto/manual?

I am looking at a 97 6 cylinder cherokee NP231, my TC is a 21 spline and is thrashed, I need a 23 spline and figured this should work for my 88 YJ / AX15 swap
Auto/manual transmission doesn't matter. I'd thought you were saying that the transfer case itself was an electric shift job, which is why I was confused. If it's just a standard 23-spline NP231, you're fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.