Ba 10 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ba 10

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #16
Puinsai
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wow.....Now I'm scared. My BA-10 POS is on its last legs, I guess with the head swap and re-gearing it to 4:56 it couldnt hold up to the increase in power and torque. I found an AX-15 from a 93 or 94 yj at a local junkyard. I was thinking of doing this swap but now I'm confussed. I know the PO had installed an np231 to the ba-10 so I'm assuming its the AMC model. I really thought this was a simple and cheep swap out. After reading all this i'm a little paranoid. The junkyard ax-15 has about 147,000 miles on it so It will probably need to be overhauled as with the new NP231J. They want $400 for the tranny and another $250 for the TC, so right off the bat I'm into it for over $650. Add in a clutch kit $250-$300 and all of the other accessories pilot bearing, input shaft, internal/external slave (not sure which one to get), speedo cable, throwout bearing,and and for all I know a new master cylinder. That adds up, thats not including overhauling the tranny/tc, which will probably cost another $500-$600. Thats well over $1500, I had hopes and dreams of being able to instal an SYE and driveshaft in the proccess but thoes dreams are fading fast. Does anybody know a more afordable way or am I over exagerating the cost and difficulty?

3.5in BDS, 1" daystar MM, Posi Lock, D-30 w/Tru-track, Stock D-35, 33x12.5x15's, 4:56, 4.0l head swap, AX15 Swap, HEI, Howell TBI. AA SYE, Tom Woods DS.
Puinsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 06:32 AM   #17
cosmo_j
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigorangeyj View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but can anyone tell me why mine won't stay in reverse. As soon as I start letting out the clutch it pops out and I have to force it to stay in. I can hear and feel it popping, and grinding if that helps. Thanks for any help, Jon.
The gears from factory were to closly meshed making them want to pop out all the time. Even if you were to buy new gears it would still be the same. Sorry no way to fix it.
cosmo_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #18
bmxer0122
1987 YJ Wrangler 

im ordering a clutch kit from autozone ($150) and than saving up to put an ax15, 8.8, and sye build together. My advice to you is to take it one step at a time and replace what is broken and if it aint broke dont fix it! i have found that its a little less painfull to work this way and to just buy the parts in pieces, acquire everythign i need for the install, than do it... hopefully that will help a little bit
bmxer0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #19
hdfxrs91
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Advance Auto has the Perfection Clutch Kit for $160. Anyone know if that brand is any good? I've had good experience with Luk clutches, but have never tried Perfection.
hdfxrs91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #20
bigorangeyj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo_j View Post
The gears from factory were to closly meshed making them want to pop out all the time. Even if you were to buy new gears it would still be the same. Sorry no way to fix it.

thanks, i was just hoping there was something to get me by until i can afford the nv3550 conversion.
bigorangeyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.