axles and axle swaps which is the best - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > axles and axle swaps which is the best

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-23-2002, 08:24 PM   #1
bighair

axles and axle swaps which is the best

k guy's here it is,

You can read and read and read about axle swaps.
which one is really the better or easier one?
what vehicle would be the best candidate for such a thing?

One thing to keep into consideration is the axle width. A Jeep YJ stock axle D30 front and D35 rear is 60" wide from end to end give or take 1 inch or so.

so you hear a real common one is the Early Bronco swap for a D44.

What we are looking at is, which vehicle is the best swap front D44 and rear D44, Chrysler 8.25, Ford 8.8, D60.. keeping in mind the bolt patern has to be the same and the front diff on a YJ is driver side( I believe, but keep forgetting hehe)so this should be on the same side.

Now how would a rear swap from a XJ, or MJ D44 be? 60 3/4" wide??

also would the Jtrucks be a good candidate as the have both front and rear D44's

the 91 and up XJ has the Chrysler 8.25 and it's 60 3/4"

which really is the better one?? MJ, XJ, Early Bronco, Scout??
they all come in the 2.73 to 4.88 gear ratio depending on the vehicle.

Thanks for your input guy's sorry for the long post
greatly appreciated.

Unread 04-24-2002, 03:14 PM   #2
ealmond

In about 3 weeks I will be converting to 79 Scout II axles, front and back. They have 4.09 gears and ARB lockers. Scout front D44's come with disc brakes and large u-joints. The Scout front D44 allow a slightly sharper turning radius than early Bronco. The rear D44 uses 30-spline axle shafts vs. the Bronco's 28 spline units. Rear D44 has a higher pinion requiring a less severe driveshaft angle.
I got this from <a href="http://www.jeeptech.com/convaxle/ihscout/conclude.html" target="_blank">http://www.jeeptech.com/convaxle/ihscout/conclude.html</a> <a href="http://www.jeeptech.com/convaxle/ihscout/conclude.html" target="_blank">infopopHomepage</a>
I picked up a model 300 transfercase to put the driveline one the right side. Since my nv231 is jumping chain anyway I thought it was a good time to change over. At $250 it was cheaper than a short shaft kit, it has a steel case and gives me a driveline 8" longer. An adapter to ax15 transmission will be $155.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.