Axles? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Axles?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-04-2002, 10:42 PM   #1
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

Axles?

Where can I learn about this Dana 44 stuff? I have know clue what this stuff is. Can ya point me to a good spot?

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #16[/b]
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/bzjeep[/url]
BzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 10:46 PM   #2
RodeoRob

best bet is to use the search feature and read, read, read!!!

Also, there is no better place to learn about axle tech than the boards over at POR. (but be weary before you post, these guys don't take kindly to newbie )

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2002, 11:24 PM   #3
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

Well, I've changed my mind over to 33" BFG's but I don't know if I should still get a 4" SkyJacker lift, 3"BodyLift and TJ flares? Will it look to high for 33"ers?

Thanks..

PS: I didn't wanna do all this axle and gear stuff.

Unread 03-05-2002, 07:36 AM   #4
RodeoRob

My friend runs a 4" RE lift w/ 2" of body and it looks just about right for 33x12.50's.

And with 33s, you shouldn't have to worry too much about changing axles providing you don't have a heavy foot. You could always look at a Ford 8.8 rear axle swap, pretty brainless swap and it would get rid of that horrible D35c.

-Rob
1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo - SAS'd and SOA'd, sitting on 36x12.50 TSLs, D44 front, 14bff rear, locked by OX and Detriot, suspensions by Jeep and Chevy, high steer conversion, 5.13 gearing and Teralow in the case.
robgorrell@yahoo.com - website
RodeoRob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2002, 02:43 PM   #5
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

How much will a Dana 44 axle cost? If Im going to get a new axle would I need a new front AND rear axle? Or just a rear?

PS: If I get a new axle, I would go back to 35" tires because its just more worth it.

Thanks!

Unread 03-05-2002, 03:29 PM   #6
SBall

Go for the 4" Skyjacker, a 1-2" body, the TJ flares and 35" tires. Then get the Super 35 kit which makes the Dana 35 rear quite strong, plus you get a locker. If you want to upgrade the front axle, get the axles out of a TJ Dana 30 front(not the axle housing, but the actual inner axles), they are stronger than the YJ's and will fit inside your Dana 30 housing. And as long as you are at it, get some gears. Of course this is only one out of many options. As mentioned, the Ford 8.8 is a popular swap. Or a Dana 60 and 44 out of a late 70's Ford, or call Currie or Dynatrac and order a couple. This is one of those topics that can be discussed for a long time. The major issue is money and what you plan to do with your jeep. It is always a good idea to plan ahead for the future of your jeep so you dont waste time and money setting it up one way and then changing your mind.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.