Which Axle Will Let Go First? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Axle Will Let Go First?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCustom Axle Work at CCOR

Unread 11-14-2001, 07:33 PM   #1
CR Perry

Which Axle Will Let Go First?

Which axle will let go first on my YJ? The 30 in the front or the 35 in the rear? I'm running 33" tires with a Rubicon Express 4.5" lift. I like to tackle challenging trails in rocky, muddy Northeast conditions. Custom axles cost a grip. Any advice on swapping in heavy duty axles that are close to the right size?

Unread 11-14-2001, 09:01 PM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You never know which axle is gonna go. That's why it's probably worth your while to just pick up the old axles from someone who is upgrading. I've always gotten my spares for free. But I hang around with a lot of Jeepers and upgrades happen a lot. Don't pay anyone a whole lot for their old axles. You are probably gonna gut them for the shafts, yokes, etc and toss the housing in a dumpster. By picking up whole axles you get all the stuff. The shafts, the yokes, hubs, etc for much less than buying just pieces. Also, you get the experience of tearing the axles down on the pavement while your Jeep is still functioning to run for the tools ya didn't know ya needed. Then when ya hit the dirt, who cares what happens. You're prepared.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2001, 09:08 PM   #3
YJOHN

FROM MY EXPERIANCE OFF ROADING MOST GUYS BLOW UP THE FRONT AXEL BECAUSE WHEN THEY ARE IN THE MUD THEY SPIN THE TIRES TO CLEAR THE MUD OFF BUT WHEN THEY COME OUT OF THE HOLE THEY LET OFF TO LATE AND THE TIRES HIT DRY DIRT OR ROCK SPINING LIKE THERE IS NO TOMMOROW AND SNAP THERE GOES THE FRONT .WHILE THE REAR IS STILL HAPPY SPINNING IN THE MUD.
YJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.