Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

axle upgrade question

672 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  rebelles 
#1 ·
I know there is a lot of discussion on here about axle upgrades/swaps. I have a 93 6cly/auto with 4" lift on 33 ATs. This Jeep really isn't going to do much (if any offroading) as I have a CJ and am thinking of building another rig from a bunch of parts I am accumulating. Also, being where I am, even when off the pavement it is usually very flat.

I have run across the opportunity to get a Dana 35 out of an older YJ (non c-clip) with the 4.10 ratio for very little money. So I am thinking about grabbing it and wondering what some other front options are that would be very economical (such as find a 2.5 front axle already geared or axle out of xxx that would have a 4.10 ratio, etc.)

Again, I am aware that the D35 is not the most recommended rear-end, etc, but for the use of this particular Jeep, I believe going down to the 4.10 is all it really needs (if I do anything). I have priced re-gearing the front to match, but really don't want to put that much in this project.

#3 ·
^^Ditto^^

For what you're doing (as you described it) you'll be fine & you'll love the 4.10 gears with the 33's.

Max :cheers2:

#5 ·
Thanks for the info. This isn't my daily driver, so the interstate speed isn't super important. However, it is something to consider. I would have thought it could get up a little higher than that.

#8 ·
i have the 3 speed auto 4.10s and 33 and WISH i was only doing 3000 at 65mph

#9 ·
don't worry about the freeway speed. with a 5 speed manuel you can do 75 easy on the freeway with 33's and 4.10's. find a cheap 4 cyl dana 30 and you will love it.

#10 ·
I believe the issue is that I have the 3-speed auto, thus limiting the potention mphs when going to 4.10s.

I aprreciate the responses.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.